3.0

"3.0: Trip Begins"

Kai happily flopped onto the bed as Soobin laughed. "Woah, your room has a great view. How many times have you been here, hyung ?" Soobin thought it over as he began to unpack, "저는 8살 때부터 매년 여행을 왔습니다. 이 집은 우리 엄마 집입니다." (I've been here for a trip every year since I was eight. This house is my mom'.) Kai sensed there was something he didn't know, but didn't push. This trip will not be ruined on their first day in. 

"So we'll be here for a few months. Do you know anyone in the area ?" Kai asked as he began to unpack as well. "I don't usually talk with anyone in the area. These trips are a bit more sentimental to me. I am here to spend time with my mom..."

Kai smiled. He hadn't heard much about Soobin' mother, but he knew Soobin seemed hopeful. "Don't worry, hyung ! I am sure we'll have fun !" Mr. Son attended to Soobin' grandparents as Soobin brought Kai along as he went to meet his mother. 

The walk there Soobin recounted his happiest memories of the trips with Kai. It wasn't long before they reached the house that belonged to the mother of Soobin. Kai offered to knock on the door seeing that Soobin looked a bit anxious. Before knocking a speaker cut on. His mother must have CCTV around her home. "누구세요? 누구세요? 최씨 부인은 방문객을 기다리고 있지 않습니다." (Who ? Who are you ? Mistress Choi is not expecting visitors.) The voice belonging to the in-home doctor for his mother, Dr. Park. Soobin gave a uneasy smile as he answered. "It is me, Choi Soobin. I brought my friend to meet my mother..."

Dr. Park simply pushed a button & let them inside. She greeted Soobin & simply introduced herself to Kai as a friend of Soobin' mother. Rather than his mother' doctor. Not much was said as Dr. Park lead them upstairs & down a hall before she knocked on a door. 

"Eonni ?", a voice called out as Dr. Park let them in. "Soobin & a friend have come to see you." Soobin' mother stopped what she was doing as she got up to greet them. She hugged Soobin, but Kai quickly picked up on the fact they both seemed uncomfortable about it. As well that Soobin seemed to desperately want that connection despite being uncomfortable. "만나서 반가워요, 카이. 여행은 잘 다녀오셨나요?" (It is so nice to meet you, Kai. Was you trip here well ?) 

Kai nodded as Soobin grabbed his mother' hand. "엄마, 우리 저녁먹으러 있어도 될까요? 할머니와 할아버지 뿐만 아니라?" (Mom, can we stay for dinner ? As well as grandma and grandpa ?) His mother stiffened, but smiles nevertheless. "Of course, Soobin. I'd rather enjoy that." Dr. Park mentally took notes of everything. As her job was to monitor & help Soobin' mother.

Dr. Park questioned his mother while he called his grandparents with Kai. "Are you uncomfortable, Soon-Bok ? If so, why did you agree they could stay then ?" Soon-Bok sighed as she anxiously fiddled with her hands, "얘는 내 아들, 어니야. 내가 아무리 불편해도 수빈이를 위해 더 나은 엄마가 되기 위해 노력해야 해. 수빈이는 그만한 자격이 있어. 내가 잘못 생각하는 거야?" (He is my son, eonni. No matter how uncomfortable I am, I need to try to be a better mother for Soobin. He deserves that much. Am I wrong ?)

Dr. Park nodded as she pushed further. "I know you want to be a good mother for Soobin, but you shouldn't force yourself. Especially given you aren't over what happened at all yet..." No more talking. It stopped. Soon-Bok didn't care.

Soon enough dinner began & Kai saw a lot he never thought he'd see.