CHAPTER TEN

Levi/Wrath:

I spun around to see multiple police cars pulling up to the house. Wrapping my arms around her in a back hug, I tugged Bria away from the bloody knives and all the bodies. Fear pumping through my blood.

Mason/Scythe:

As Levi pulled Bria back, I pulled the twins in close. Hugging them. I couldn't lose anyone else.

Leah/Dice:

As Mason pulled me in close, I took my sister's hand. I wouldn't let her go back to the orphanage. Mason was our brother now. They couldn't take us away.

Teah/Hammer:

When Mason pulled me close and my sister took my hand, I didn't care. Bria and Levi were still running. All I cared about was that Jake was dead. I would make sure myself.

Bria Smolder:

I watched with despair as the police piled out of their cars. One small car even had a news reporter clambering out of it. I knew that one of us would be arrested. Tears slipped from my eyes. As Levi pulled me back I watched the police sprint up the hill. One of them approached Levi and me.

He had a belt full of guns, pepper spray, a crowbar, walkie talkie, and various other items. He wore a bulletproof vest and a navy blue long sleeve shirt with navy blue pants. The pants were made of a material I had never seen before.

"I'm Officer Hunt. Have you seen any of the following Newton High students?" Hunt said, pulling a missing poster from his pocket. All of my dead friend's smiling faces glared at me from their most recent school photos. Plus mine. I felt Levi laugh. His heaving chest crushing into my back.

"Yep. I've seen all of 'em. Four died though. Two of their bodies are here." He released me with one arm, but kept the other one around me. Sliding it to rest on my shoulder.

"Where's the living one?" Hunt asked. Concern hinting his voice.

"Right here." Levi said, shaking my shoulders. I nodded.

"Bria right?" Hunt asked me.

"Right."

"Can you tell me who died?"

"Champ, Curt, Emily, and Jake."

"What day is it?"

"I dunno."

"What day did you come to this place?"

"July eleventh, 2026."

"Where are their bodies?"

I shuddered at his final question.

"I'll show you. She doesn't know where they are." Levi said. Giving my shoulder a quick squeeze, he let go and walked Hunt around the courtyard.

Mason approached me. The twins clinging to his long arms. I watched him whisper to them. The twins let go of him and ran around the yard, playing some strange version of tag.

"So?" he asked me, once he was within hitting distance.

"They asked me questions, but I don't think they're arresting anyo-" I was interrupted by Levi and Hunt walking past me.

"Levi, I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself, but it is not 2026. It is 2039. She's been there for thirteen years. When did you say you went in?"

"2000 Sir."

"Then you've been in there for thirty nine years!"

"Yes I can do math thank you."

They shuffled out of earshot. I stood stunned.

"Thirteen years...?"

"I've been for forty years."

"Then how old was Jake?"

"A few hundred years or something. He was always in the house."

I looked at Mason open-mouthed. He nodded. A warm hand tapped me on the shoulder. I spun around to find another officer. His name tag read 'Officer S'. He was a short officer, almost my height. He looked younger than me, about sixteen? His hair was tucked tightly into a police cap and his eyes were a light brown.

"Bria?" he asked. His voice was thick, and he had an accent.

"Yeah?"

"You realize you've been missing for thirteen years to this day, correct?"

"Mhmm."

"Do you remember anyone from thirteen years ago?"

"My ma, three year old brother, my older sister. Why?"

"Well, you sister, Amille? She died. She committed suicide just after you went missing."

I stared at him. Sweat began trickling down his face.

"And my brother?"

"Right here Bree." Officer S took off his hat. Revealing wavy hair in the same

chocolate colour as mine. Then I realized what the S stood for. Smolder. Cooper Smolder. I held my arms out for him. He pulled me in for a tight hug. I calculated math in my head.

"You were three when I left! Three! Coop you're huge!" Cooper laughed. I hugged

him close. He was the root for me right now.