PREFACE

Blurry, wet tears ran down my eyes. My tunic was sopping from the waterfall of tears that couldn't leave me alone. I tried to breathe, but let out a loud, hurtful cough. I wanted to scream at the world and kick something. my fingers clenched in my hands. I squeezed so tight my veins were visible.

I paced around my room, hating how stupid I was. Why had I gotten caught up in this? Why did I agree to this?

And why did I want to know more?

None of it made sense. Pieces seemed to float around in my mind, none really fitting together. Pieces smashed against each other like celestial bodies, but more and more broke off as tried to push them together.

I tore my hands through my hair. My tired eyes scanned the room and landed on an empty notebook. He walked over and opened the book. The scent of fresh paper calmed my racing mind, even if I didn't want to admit it. I picked up my pencil.

Questions/missing pieces:

No body?

No witnesses?

Source?

I blew out an exasperated breath. A crystal-made lamp was the only thing providing light. A small piece in the corner of the massive room. I banged my head on the table. I felt at my forehead, sure of the purple-blue mark that would appear the next day.

Fitz! Me and Dex are alive! A tree... it has blossoms and leaves and also bare and also orange leaves... Fitz, please!

I wanted to shun the voice, blame it on my grief. But the quiver as it spoke, and how clearly it resembled Sophie wasn't something my memory, imagination, or even my grief could conjure.

My heart leapt. I dashed to my bed and picked up my imparter, clicking it in a frenzy.

"Hail Keefe Sencen." My voice came out low and raspy.

"Fitzy? How are you-"

"Get here now."