CHAPTER SEVEN: Don't You Dare Insult Foxfire

"We're here," My tone held a song-like trill to it. I stepped out of the light, into an even brighter expanse. I stared right at the light (Don't do that, kids. It's bad for your eyes) for a few seconds, trying to make out much else. Being here so often, the bright seemed to get less bright.

Sophie gasped and took a step back, hurriedly throwing her arms in front of her face, eyelids only allowing a sliver of sight.

"Welcome, this is Everglen," I said. I often greeted Nobility into my home, recycling the same three greetings every time, a gleaming, fake smile the best I could conjure, but bringing Sophie here was different. It struck me that I couldn't recall the last time I had brought someone my age home. Maybe I had when I was a baby (Elvin two-year-olds always have so much to say). But that sentiment seemed unlikely upon remembering my assignment. Sophie was the first friend I ever brought here.

I shook my head. No, she wasn't, I used to have another friend, a year younger than me, come over when I was a child. But a different thought stood out to me. Was Sophie my friend? I hadn't the slightest idea. I thought about the friends I made at school. The list seemed pitifully small for a Vacker. I had admirers, sure (some more secretive than others), and I had acquaintances, but friendship was rare for me. Maybe it was because what a friend was meant to be, was a complete mystery to me. The only true friend of mine held a strange obsession for his own hair.

I pushed the thought away. "What do you think?"

She squinted, eyes scanning the place as best as she could. "It's very bright."

I laughed airily. "Yeah. My dad works for the council, so he likes his privacy at home." I hoped she couldn't sense the unease of my voice.

"I guess," she said, not looking anywhere particular, but I could hear the hesitation in her voice. The bright gates matched the sun in brilliance, blocking out everything. I could understand her fear, I would be suspicious of a home as Everglen.

And I was, too. My father had kept many things from me. Knowing him was difficult since he was so hard to predict. I never knew if it was an icy glare or a smile that reached his eyes. The only thing I knew about him was his job and this assignment, and only because he wanted me to take part.

I took a step inside, unsurprised to see my father, waiting for us. He had rehearsed this with me several times before.

"Sophie, this is my father, Alden." I took a step to the side, allowing him to bask in the morning light.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sophie." His smile reached his eyes, but the twinkle in his teal irises 6[p6[was one of curiosity. I could tell, more than anyone, that he wanted to bombard Sophie with a million questions. "I see Fitz wasn't joking with the brown eyes. Most unusual."

Sophie's cheeks turned red. "Uh, yeah, That's right."

"There is nothing to be embarrassed about. I think the colour is quite pretty. Don't you?"

I nodded, remembering the trance she had put me in earlier. Stuck staring at her irises while she stole a glance at my mind. I doubt it was actual elven science, but the very prospect of her eyes mesmerised me.

Sophie looked at the grass, face a flaming red.

"Did you tell anyone where Sophie was?" I recalled the morning's conversation.

"Only the council," my father murmured. "Why?"

"Sophie said someone tried to take her today."

My father's eyes widened. "Are you alright? Did you get hurt?"

"I'm doing fine." Sophie stared right back at Alden. "He just looked like he wanted to pull me away."

"Humans." My father muttered.