Chapter 2

"And I really thought I was gonna get in trouble for that or something." Rooster laughed. "But he ended up catching me off guard when he said I was going to Top Gun."

Phoenix smiled. "That happened with me except I still got in trouble with my flying."

Rooster laughed. "Of course."

"Hey." She says as she makes the turn to the school. "I'm not that bad of a pilot. At least I take risks."

He chuckles, nodding his head, ignoring the last remark. "Uh-huh." He says with a tone, the look saying, 'oh I totally believe you.'

Phoenix shook her head. "I'm not."

She pulls up to one of the parking spots on the front row, right in front of the school. There's another vehicle on the driver's side, a BMW. She's careful not to hit it when she gets out on account they didn't park very well.

"I'm still mad at you for not telling me you were also coming to Top Gun."

Rooster shuts his door right before Phoenix locks it, the car honking, echoing slightly due to the quietness and open area.

"Is that what the hit to the gut with the pool cue was for?" He raised a brow, smiling.

Phoenix only hummed, not meeting his eyes.

Right as the two walked up to the door to step in, another vehicle pulled up, a truck. The engine cuts off as he gets out.

"Aw, cute. You two rode to work together."

Rooster rolls his eyes. "My vehicle is getting it's tires changed. Phoenix offered to give me a ride today."

Jake dropped his jaw, slightly taken aback. "Wait, you mean the Camaro is yours?" He gestured a finger to Phoenix.

She smirked, nodding proudly. "What? Never seen a girl own a sports car?"

"I've never seen one drive it so well, either." He revealed with a shake of his head as they walked in.

As they walked through the halls, Rooster was humming away Great Balls Of Fire. The female shook her head, chuckling as they rounded a corner.

"If you were going to embarrass me last night you could've at least sang the whole song." Phoenix sighed.

Rooster chuckled. "Sorry."

Jake groaned, "What's with this serenade everyone keeps talking about?"

"You and Coyote were too busy outside to hear the praises from Rooster's performance."

"Don't forget your excellent dancing." Rooster noted.

Phoenix pointed at him, clicking her tounge.

"You two are already annoying." Hangman commented with an eye roll, walking into the locker rooms to change into his flight suit.

After getting changed into their flight suits and making their way to the first class outside, they were told how their time at Top Gun was going to work. They had been told the previous day, about how many times they'd fly and what classes were going to be held, but this was more in depth. After the discussion the instructor gave, they could finally get to the good part. The part each pilot and Weapons System Officer was waiting for.

The flying.

Rooster was up first, with Yale and Harvard as his wingman.

"Today we're just jumping right in. You'll be flying with your wingman today, Rooster, instead of a solo flight." The instructor called to them. "The clock has started. Your first hop starts now. Good luck."