3: Build The Faith

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)

Joshua was the appointed successor of Moses in leading Israelites into the Promised Land. In his life, God gave him a huge responsibility to handle, but God promised him that He will be his ever-present help in his troubles (Psalm 46:1) to give him preparation of his journey as a leader. Just like God said to Joshua, circumstances, whether big or small, can be overwhelming to us that leads to discouragement, especially when we do not know who to run for help. Yet, our loving and caring Father in Heaven reminds us of His promises.

In Joshua's story, God is teaching us to have a standing faith. What makes a house strong? It is by building a right foundation, and it same goes with our faith, which is built strong by meditating God's Word, just like a wise man who built his house upon the rock (Matthew 7:24-25). This is why spending time in reading the Bible is important to exercise our faith and to nourish our soul. Likewise, part of faith building is being obedient. James 1:22-25 commands us to be "doers of the word, and not hearers only" because we misrepresent ourselves that we trust God just by hearing His word, but doing and obeying His word is also part of the process. With knowledge (meditation) comes wisdom (application).

Finally, having a heart full of humility pleases God rather than a heart full of arrogance. Pride is a toxic substance that hinders dependence and obedience in His Word as it will destroy our faith in Him. When we contradict Him, we are creating a rebellious heart that is unwilling to heed Him just like Saul in 1 Samuel 15 when he failed to do God's command to attack the Amalekites.

If you're facing a circumstance right now, God will also say to you, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Only trust Him! 😊