xiii. killing time

tw: mentions of eating disorders, f word used by a queer person

♡ ˎˊ˗ TAEHYUNG'S ALWAYS FACED his problems head-on. There's nowhere to run — he's never needed to, never wanted to, he's aware any kind of avoidance will surely make him pay double the price later, when he hits a wall and the ceiling is just a little too low.

There's never a way for him to ease himself into it, either; to slowly, carefully come out, step by step, and solve the issue as he goes. He jumps right in, not a thought crossing his mind about stepping back for just a second, about waiting for the right moment because, if he doesn't act right now, he won't act at all. And that makes him weak.

Running is a weakness, too. Yet, as his arms tighten around Jeongguk's waist, he presses his face against Jeongguk's back to avoid the cold wind tinting the tip of his nose red, he squeezes his eyes shut and decides that he can run for a little bit longer.

He's pretty sure they've been on the road for at least half an hour. There are goosebumps rising on the back of his neck, but the combined heat of their bodies pressed together doesn't let him think about those much longer. He focuses on his own hitched breathing, on the blunt thumps of his heart in his confined chest, on the white of his knuckles against the fabric of Jeongguk's shirt.

"Where are you taking me?" He knows Jeongguk can't hear him, knows there's no point in trying to address him, and any way to get his attention could be misinterpreted as Taehyung being uncomfortable and cause confusion, especially on a bike. So he buries his face into the warmth of Jeongguk's shirt and dares look to the side.

The neighbourhood is unfamiliar. It seems small, cosy, with houses built in a style that's almost traditional, bushes and tall trees surrounding each of them, separating them, adding colour and life to the blank Seoul landscape. Blank. That's what it is, the sunrise Taehyung watches as he works, the city lights he admires at parties when he can't see the stars.

There are stars over here. Pale, weak, almost dying in the polluted Seoul air, but he sees them. His eyes prickle. He should visit home soon.

When Jeongguk stops the bike, he takes off the helmet and his hair is messy. It takes Taehyung a second to climb off the bike, even when Jeongguk's hand is on his waist to steady him, when his other one reaches out to move the stray hair out of Taehyung's face, then slips lower and into the pocket of his — Jeongguk's — jacket to pull out two folded masks, even when Jeongguk doesn't tell him to take it off. Especially then.

"Was it okay?"

Their fingers touch when Jeongguk hands him a mask. Taehyung nods. "Very much so."

Jeongguk's expression is concealed behind his own mask, but his eyes are soft when he nods. "Good." He presses a warm palm against Taehyung's back and starts walking. Taehyung can't help but stay by his side, making every step bigger than the previous one to match his long, quick strides. "Let's find something to eat."