The Customs Home

The chapter begins with Oscar and Ruby walking through the building and entering a room full of ship manifests. Ruby takes out her camera and starts recording.

"Okay, you seriously need to get rid of that camera." Weiss deadpans.

"Wow..." Oscar muttered. "These must be all the old ship manifests" He picks up a book and opens it. "Still seem to be in pretty good shape." He puts it on a table and flips through it. "Hey, check this out. This looks right. The Esperanza. Sailed from Callao, Peru. Carrying 800 bars of gold, 1200 silver. Emeralds, golden masks, ornaments..."

Coco whistles. "Damn, that's a lot."

"Whoa, reading 16th-century Spanish. Not just a grave robber after all, huh?" Ruby questioned.

Oscar keeps on reading. "Right here. Gold statue, weight: 20 arrobas. That's over five hundred pounds. That's gotta be it." He turns the page to the one showing a drawing of El Dorado. The status is flat on the bottom and somewhat trapezoid shaped on top. It has several unique patterns along its exterior and the face of some kind of demon on the top front.

"Wow... there you are..." Oscar said with a huge smile.

"That thing kinda gives me the creeps." Ruby commented.

"Me too." Jaune agreed, shivering.

"What is that thing anyway??" Nora questioned.

"That's El Dorado." Theo answered.

"You mean the Golden Statue that everyone is searching for?" Pyrrha wondered.

Lucy nodded. "That's the one."

Velvet cringed. "If that's true, I thought the statue would be less... creepy."

Andy chuckled. "Well, most ancient artifacts can be creepy."

"Let's just hope this Golden statue is worth their lives." Blake said, concerned.

Oscar flips through more pages only to find them blank. "Huh. That's the last entry... Weird..." He begins touching an old silver ring on a string around his neck. Ruby notices it and remembers that he's been wearing it since she first met him. 

"That someone special?" She asks, smirking.

"What?" Oscar said, confused. Ruby gestures to his ring. "Oh, yeah. I guess you could say that."

Most of the audience just rolled their eyes, shook their head or just chuckled, seeing this conversation about to get flirty, as it kinda was. 

"Huh. I had you pegged as more of a "woman-in-every-port" kinda guy." Ruby teased.

Oscar chuckled. "Don't I wish. No, this was ah... this was Francis Drake's ring. I, y'know, kind of inherited it."

Ruby holds the ring and observes it closely. She sees writing and reads off the inscription. "Sic Parvis Magna"?

"Greatness from small beginnings". - It was his motto. Check out the inscription date." Oscar told Ruby.

"29th of January, 1596."

"One day after he supposedly died."

"Wait, what are these numbers right here?"

"Coordinates. Right off the coast of Panama."

"Oh, so that's how you found the coffin."

Oscar smiles. "Yeah, that's right. See, Drake left this as a clue to pinpoint the exact burial sight."

"For someone clever enough to figure it out." Ruby said getting her flirt on.

"Are you two gonna make out now?" Yang teased.

WHAT?!" Oscar shouted, taken back, blushing furiously.

"YANG!!" Ruby squealed, her face becoming bright red. 

"Aw c'mon. I'm just teasing." The blonde-brawler joked. She then grinned. "Just like your other selves.

Ruby used her hood to cover her red face, whimpering in embarrassment and Oscar slumped in his chair, asking Theo for a large hat, which the magic boy graciously gave. Oscar used it to cover his whole face.

Oscar takes the ring back. "Yeah, nice try. But we're still going for that boat." He rips the El Dorado page out and holds it up to the camera. "I'm afraid this is as close as we're getting to El Dorado."

The duo go up a flight of stairs in the room and get to a very large room with a taller staircase. They go up it and onto a balcony overlooking the port. The fortress from earlier is seen on the other side. 

Ruby looks down at the docks below but sees nothing. She frowns. "Uh, oh. I don't see any boats, Oscar. Looks like we've missed our chance."

Oscar looks down and across the building and spots the boat. "No, there it is, on the other side of the harbor. C'mon."

"Hey, you know what? Why don't I just wait here, and you can, uh, swing around and come back and pick me up." Ruby suggested.

"What??" Tai said, shocked and confused.

"What for??" Summer asked, concerned.

Oscar chuckles. "Okay, what are you up to?"

Qrow nodded. "Yeah, what's more important that you can't go with the pipsqueak??"

"Nothing." Ruby protested. "I just wanna, y'know, stay here and get some more footage. I'll be safe."

Raven narrowed her eyes. Don't you have you enough footage since you've been carrying that camera around?"

"Alright, fine. But promise me you'll stay put." Oscar told her.

"You're promising the wrong person, Oscar." Blake said, shaking her head. "Ruby can't stay in one place for at least a minute."

"Hey!! No I don't!!" The scythe-wielder protested.

"You were literally bouncing around the cafeteria waiting for cookies." Weiss deadpans.

"I-I was just... URGH!"

Ruby nods and holds her hand up, smiling.

"Whatever that means." Oscar said. He leaves the balcony by jumping onto the next one over. He keeps doing so until he reaches a door to go back inside. He enters another large room, this one has a hole in the ceiling. He suddenly hears the sound of a helicopter and looks up to see one flying over.

Oscar grew suspicious. "Who's this now? Wait that's no one of Tock's..."

"It's probably Watts and Tyrian." Oobleck guessed.

"Indeed." Port agreed. "Tock was hired by them, so they must be the one behind all of this."

End of chapter