One Moment's High

"Cremia, you're over reacting," I could hear a soft voice whisper before opening my eyes, "Miss Arlene isn't an assassin just because she's shy and a good crossbow huntress."

"I've seen a lot people enter and exit this castle, Tuli" Cremia hissed "I know what was façade looks like. You and Lord Laurent may not agree, but Lady Pia even admitted that she believes there's more than meets the eye with these two." 

The pair went silent as they began shuffling around our room. One of them was starting a fire and other walked around the room, seeming looking for something. Steps neared the edge of my bed, where my bag sat. I just faintly heard the soft brush of fabric against the wooden bedframe following by the single clink of one of the metal straps. 

I pretended to rustle in my sleep and the sound of my bag snipping back against my bed was followed by a sharp breath through the nose. I nestled deeper in the pillow as I planned out what I would do if she managed to take anything out of my bag.  I wanted to know what she was looking for. My bag was filled with basic necessities and a couple of journals. 

"Last night, you groaned at my lack of consideration and look at you now! Nearly waking up the poor traveler before dawn with your nosiness, Cremia" Tuli softly scolded, "we searched their entire bags last night. This is foolish and mean."

"She has a book on the legendary crossbow and a crossbow that she doesn't want us to see" Cremia insisted, "And you saw what the guards dragged back from the mountaintops! One of the bodies only had a single bolt in its head. Frost trolls skulls are thicker than that!"

I heard creaking come from behind, followed by a hearty yawn. 

"Good morning, ladies. Still talking about those frost trolls from the other night?" Oda yawned, "It was a good thing we poisoned Arlene's bolts before heading further up the mountain."

I sat up from my bed and rubbed my eyes, before groggily looking out the window and then back at Cremia and Tuli. Before I could get a word out, our bedroom door cracked open and Lucien the guard stepped in. 

"Miss Cremia, you're needed in the front hall with Lord Laurent and you're needed by Lady Pia, Miss Tuli" Lucien announced, "Miss Arlene and Mister Odin, breakfast has been moved back due to some unforeseen guests. When you are ready, I will meet you at the bottom of the stairs leading to the front hall to escort you to our lovely greenhouse while you wait for the Lord and Lady". 

Cremia and Tuli leaved immediately and Lucien followed, whispering to both of them. Oda and I put our clothing from night before on and searched the room for anything we could use during our journey. 

"Did you hear Cremia and Tuli when they came into our room?" I asked under my breath, "Cremia and the Marchioness are onto us."

"I heard your bag jingle and cracked my eyes open to see her nose deep inside" Oda scoffed. 

"Once we get to the greenhouse, we need to find a way out" I panicked aloud, "If Lady Pia gets one more glance at me, I think she'll figure out exactly who I am."

"Nobody has yet and even if they do, we don't know what their reaction would be" Oda tried to sooth me, putting hand on my shoulder, "we're almost out of here, anyway." 

Oda opened the door to our room and we made our way down the spiraling stairs, where Lucien stood as straight as a pin with his sword stood proudly in front of him. His gray beard and curly mustache covered his smile, but his eyes were filled with relief to see us. Lucien loosened his stature and placed his sword in its sheath. He wasn't much taller or wider than myself, but his quiet strength could still be felt like a wave just by looking at his rugged face.