Tolling of the Iron Bell

Galmiir ushered Oda and I to the side of the room, where a long stone table was covered in different weapon molds. In the center of the table sat the shape of different pieces of a crossbow.

"Arlo, what pieces are necessary to create a crossbow?" Galmiir quizzed me. 

"The rope" I answered, knowing I was wrong. 

"You have Artemis' Bow, the crossbow that melds your very spirit into a lethal weapon against any opponent, no matter how big" Galmiir lectured, "And you're telling me that you can't even describe your bow properly". 

Galmiir began pointing to different parts of the crossbow mold, explain the piece and its function. I learned about the limbs, stock, rail, risers, and the cocking stirrup in more detail than I thought someone could go into about a piece of metal or wood. When Galmiir finished his lecture on the anatomy of a crossbow, he immediately began talking about the different effects of the materials used for each part. 

By the time Galmiir finished talking, we had gone over everything from important of symmetry in both crossbows and spears to why you have to take into consideration your enchantments when choosing a material. Despite the long hours, Oda and I were diligent students. The only thing to break our focus the loud growling of our stomachs.  

"We'll eat lunch and then I teach you both how to plan and cast your own weapons" Galmiir stated confidently, leading us back upstairs. 

When we looked out the front window, the sun was setting. I knew that it felt later than Galmiir assumed, but I couldn't believe the amount of time that had actually passed. Sivero had already wash the plates from the night before and made food. 

"I guess I was talking for a while, huh..." Galmiir thought aloud, sitting at the table where Sivero was sitting the food down. 

"You think?" Oda groaned, slowly sliding his hands down sides of his face in anguish, "My brain feels like our breakfast."

The food laid before looked much more appetizing than breakfast. Sivero had caught more fish and roasted it on twigs. He also collected a variety of fresh fruit and leafy greens, making for a much more vibrant meal. Despite this, Galmiir seemed just as pleased as he was this morning. 

"Maybe you three aren't so bad to have around" Galmiir chuffed as he scarfed down fish, "You three make excellent food and drinks, you let me talk your ears off. Even old Titus couldn't handle my explanations!"

"You know, I'm sure Lord Laurent wouldn't mind having someone to talk to either" I suggested, "Lady Pia did tell me to inform you that her invitation in Lorshire still stands."

"I love Pia, she was always my favorite of your grandfather's children," Galmiir began "but I am not moving to frozen hellscape. They can build me a fancy tunnel to get me over there all they want, but I'll stay right here, thank you very much."

"Don't attack the messenger; I'm just following orders" I jokingly shrugged. 

"I'm Lorshire's newest knight" Oda bragged, happily eating his food. 

"A knight with no armor?" Galmiir laughed, "Boy, I've never seen a knight so scrawny in my life... but I guess I've said the same thing about your father and he made his way up the ranks... instead of finishing his apprenticeship."

Sivero cawed, rolling his eyes and pointing at Oda. He stuck his thumb and his pinky talons out and waved his hand so his thumbed pointed at him and his pinky pointed at Galmiir. 

"Quit your cawing, Sivero, I've learned enough magic to survive," Oda groaned, "Sivero claims I'm doing the same thing with him and conjuration magic."

"I have some things I need to prepare for our lessons. We'll continue tomorrow" Galmiir sighed,  finished his plate and making his way back downstairs.