A Pattern So Grand and Complex

The jungle that sat that the bottom of Mount Angorus was becoming a green blurb in the distance as we climbed higher. Rather than being able to walk forward, I leaned against the wall of rock with basket hanging over the steep drop below. I shuffled my feet across the small ledge, ready to throw that basket of scales at Oda for recommending that I carry them. 

The small footpath was smooth, as if travelled hundreds of times, but the wall I was relying on cracked and chipped. I couldn't stop myself from wondering how many creatures tried taking this same path and tumbling back into the forest below, battered beyond survival. The only thing that kept me from looking directly below us was the basket of scales. 

Sivero was managing the thin ledge with ease and even Oda was fairing better with both of our bags on his back. Oda took advantage of the uneven wall behind us, griping each hole with his long, thin hands. I could watch Oda mumbling too softly for me to make out what he was saying as he would occasionally look up towards the mountaintop. His mumbling only stop when he was interrupted by Sivero's authoritative caw. We both turned to Sivero was able to walk forward normally again. 

As we turned around the mountain, the path widened more and more. Sivero chirped when we found a  crevasse large enough for us to group up closely. Without a word exchanged, we all set down our belongings and plopped onto the hard, stone ground. 

Oda leaned his head back against one stone wall and stretched out his legs until they touched the other near the pathway entrance. When I looked to the top of the crevasse, I could see the smokey sky. Finally able to rest, I got a better look at the exhausted Oda and Sivero. The poor old Kenku was missing a noticeable amount feathers around his sides and his once shiny feathers were dulled by the soot in the air. The soot had gathered mostly on Oda's cheeks and his sharp nose, but it coated in his tightly coiled hair. 

"You've got a little something on your face" Oda pointed out as soon as he rolled his face in my direction. 

"You'll never guess what's all over yours, too" I rolled my eyes, pulling a cloth out of my bag to dab my face. 

The entrance of our crevasse was filled with the orange and red sunset, adding another level to our exhaustion. Despite my best attempts, I couldn't keep my eyes open as my head rung with pain. In the end, my exhaustion got the best of me and I fell asleep before I could see the sun fully set. 

When I awoke, Sivero and Oda were fast asleep. I had no idea how long they had been asleep, but I decided to let them rest and take on watch duty. Unlike the Melted Forest, Mount Angorus' only sound was the occasional gust of wind. The stars were clear from our private view, filling up anywhere that wasn't dark stone. As I looked back up at the stars above, I faintly saw something drift by for a moment. I paused, unsure whether I hoped to see it again or not. 

I saw another shape flick past the thin opening above, swaying once before disappearing into the night. However, this time, small rocks crumbled from above. I could feel a silent scream swell in myself, forcing me to cover my mouth. As quietly as I could, I shook Oda and Sivero awake. Both stumbled to a sitting in opinion. Oda went to say something, but I leaped to him and covered his mouth as I pointed above. I mimicked the shape I had seen with my arm and watched as both their eyes grew with fear. 

Before we could make any plans, we all turned towards a large thud outside the crevasse. Oda summoned his spear and I grabbed my crossbow, aiming towards the entrance. The shape from above the crevasse swished briefly in front of us, revealing a tail-like tentacle covered in barbs. I could faintly make out the edge of a large, black creature up against the other side of the right wall. 

"What do we do?" I whispered shakily. 

Rather than getting a response from Oda, I could hear the beast's low, rumbling growl. It's tentacle whipped across the entrance of the cave and we could barely see the tip of its nose peering around the corner. It poked its nose higher towards the air, attempting to get a better whiff of us.