The Strings of Power

"Arlo... Oda... May I come in?" a gruff voice called out softly from the other side of the bedroom door, "it's Lord Laurent."

"Of course, my lord" Oda rung out. 

The Marquess walked in with a cane made of silver and encrusted with opal and sapphire. Oda ran over to assist the old man, but the Lord was quick to dismiss him with a single head nod. Lord Laurent pulled up a chair and joined Oda and I near my bed. 

"You've gotten yourself into quite the situation, haven't you?" Laurent sighed, still maintaining his gentle smirk, "I knew you were something special, but not even I could tell just how one-of-a-kind you truly are. You've got my least favorite family member hunting you down, you're rightful owner of Artemis' Bow, and now you're on your way to the Fountain of Spirit with no exploration experience, no armor, and barely enough resources to get you through the week...." 

"I can't tell whether you're encouraging me to continue forward or not, Marquess" I admitted. 

"You're so formal and to the point, even with your family" Laurent laughed, "I'm your uncle, you can address me as much."

"Why would you still see me as family? You guys clearly knew that my father stole your daughter, but you never revolted or took revenge. At the bare minimum, I would think that I would be disowned" I questioned the old high elf. 

"... It took until after the war for us to figure out what had happened to Violetta. Our lieutenant, Lucien, had stopped in Nohr to send your father the money we paid him for protection. He stopped at a bar where had a few drinks with one of your father's soldiers," Laurent paused to swallow back tears, "Soldier said 'The last time I was in Lorshire, I was escorting the Count to Castle Lorshire for over an overnight visit'... Your father has never spent the night in our castle, not even as a child."

The Marquess took a deep breath as he leaned his head back for a moment. He tapped his cane on the ground, taking in another deep breath. I could tell that the old lord was on verge of tears and seeing such a kind man relive his greatest sorrow made my stomach sick. Without a thought or word, I scooted closer and wrapped my arms around him. Lord Laurent was taken back for a moment before hugging me back even harder. We sat there for what seemed like an eternity before the Marquess let go. He had a smile on his face and tears in his eyes. 

"I can't imagine how a man could be so rotten when he had a daughter who gave hugs like that" my uncle sniffled. 

"I don't even remember the last time I touched either of my parents" I admitted. 

"What a shame... I don't remember your mother very well. You must look more like her because you look nothing like your father. That red hair must stand out next his blonde hair" Laurent joked, "You know, there was a time that I had those same fiery red locks and so did your Aunt Pia and your great-grandfather King Titus."

"He's the one who sending me to the Fountain of Spirit" I rolled my eyes.

"Titus always loved pressing people pass their perceived limits. He always had a way of knowing exactly what someone could be possible of," Laurent reminisced "I had to bring him the wings of a frost dragon to marry his daughter.  Sir Oda, I hope you understand how grateful you should be that he isn't around anymore! Maybe I'll have to put you up to something instead..."

"I think I put him through enough!" I laughed, nudging my uncle's shoulders, "Not that we're by any means a couple, just really good friends!"

"History has a way of writing people as very good friends when there's much more at play" Laurent teased with knowing smile on his face, "You should always start as good friends. Makes the long haul feel a lot shorter."