2 | Survivors' Guilt

—THE PAST—Central City University Hospital,Emergency RoomSeptember 8, 2036

—THE PAST—
Central City University Hospital,
Emergency Room
September 8, 2036

ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ♡ﮩ٨ـﮩﮩ٨ـ

🩻

      BIANCA'S EYES FLUTTERED OPEN like a butterfly testing her wings for the first time, but they were broken. She never had a chance. They were sticky from tears making her vision all the more blurry. All she could see was the blinding white of the ceiling of the emergency room.

What the hell happened? Where am I?

She became aware of her cracked dry lips and even drier mouth. She slowly moved them to find her tongue tasted like iron. Her tongue slid over her teeth to find her braces were taken off.

What's going on?

She reached to touch to find her body wrapped firmly by a hospital blanket. She heard beeps of monitors, some of even bigger machines.

People were shuffling in and out frantically. She heard whispers.

Wait, was I in an accident?

When her slight movements were finally noticed, a nurse dropped what he had been holding in his hands and rushed out of the room to call a doctor. The sudden act made Bianca's breath quicken.

Heavy steps made its way towards Bianca seconds later but she couldn't make the figure. She blinked as quickly as she could until an image of a man cleared. He was tall, lean, middle-aged, with wild grey hair, weird glasses perched on his nose, clad in a lab coat unlike what the doctors had been wearing. Bianca recognized the name Star Labs on his coat.

She sucked in her breathe and whimpered. Why would Star Labs be here. The thought of being experimented on came across her mind and she turned her eyes away from him in fear. Was she kidnapped?

"Bianca Reyes can you hear me?" The voice asked. He leaned over to a colleague. "She's conscious but she may not be able to communicate."

Bianca struggled against the blanket in fear, confused every ounce of fear she has ever felt burst behind her usual walls and her heart raced again.

"Restrain her," the man said and hands were on her body again just as it was seconds before she had gone unconscious. "Bianca, miss, we're here to help. We need you to stay calm. We want to prolong your awakened condition as long as possible. This is a miracle that you're alive. You hear me? You need to stay calm."

Miracle? She thought. Her eyes looked around the room. The machines were unfamiliar, all labeled with Star Labs. She spot one particular machine with a logo she recognized but couldn't place. She couldn't remember whether it was good or bad.