Special 100k Reads Chapter: 3 Years Later

The black fabric of her graduation kimono whispered against Eri's thighs as she stared at herself in the mirror. She tilted her head to one side, watching the tendrils of silvery-blue hair framing her face hang down. The rest of her hair was pulled up into an elaborate bun, one that had taken her several weeks and Keiko's constant help to master. People would tell her that she had grown up to be such a "beautiful young woman" and that they couldn't wait to watch her become a great hero.

She didn't feel all that grown up.

She still felt like a little girl, unsure of how the world worked and a bit scared to find out.

Her red eyes glanced nervously up and down her body as she examined every part of her. Did everything look alright? Did she tie all the knots right? Was anything out of place? A loose thread, a missing piece of jewelry?

The doorbell rang and startled her from her thoughts.

"I'll get it," called her dad from downstairs.

"Thanks!" she called back, thankful that her voice wasn't as shaky as her hands.

She heard the door open and rushed to gather the last few remaining items. Bag, check. Emergency makeup, check. Phone, check. Giving her room one more once over, she stood at the doorframe and looked back. This was the room that she had grown up in. The room where she had cried and grieved over her lost first years. The room where she smiled and learned about her future. The room where she finally found herself.

When she left this room, it would be the last time she was leaving it as a student. When she returned, it would be the first time she entered as a woman.

She shuddered at the thought and hurried downstairs.

Kota was standing in the living room with Aizawa chatting amiably, holding a small red box. His pitch black hair was brushed back and styled cleanly. He was looking sharp in a simple white button-up and black formal jacket and slacks. In the pocket of his jacket was a beautiful pink sakura pin. 

He noticed Eri round the corner and turned to face her as she approached. "Hey, you," he said gently, giving her a quick kiss on the forehead.

"Hey." She blushed and hid her quickly reddening cheeks under her hand. Her eyes flickered up to Aizawa, but he was glancing off in some other direction, probably on purpose, sparing her the embarrassment. Her eyes flicked back to Kota, landing on the box. "What's that?"

He handed it over to her. "It's for you. Well, for your hair."

"For my hair?" She opened the box to find a glittering sakura hairpin. The stem was long and silver, with the end of it sporting three beautiful sakuras made of gemstones. She gasped. "It's beautiful, Kota... I love it, thank you! And look, we'll match," she said, noting the pin on his jacket. 

Kota turned his face away as he covered his mouth with his fist. "I, uh, thought it would be nice. For pictures and stuff."

She giggled and took the pin out of the box. "Would you...?"

"Of course."

He turned to stand behind her, gently taking the pin and sliding it into the strands of hair that made up her bun. While he was fixing everything, Eri noticed Aizawa watching the two of them and her face flushed scarlet.

"Dad, you don't have to--"

"Eri, it's been two years, I'm used to it. And you should be used to me watching you two."

"I know, but it's embarrassing!" She covered her face with her hands.

Aizawa chuckled. "You'll get used to it one day."