Chapter 19: The End and a Beginning

Mr. Kaminari grinned at the groups as they entered the viewing room, all four of them panting and sweating, ready to collapse from exhaustion. "Welcome back, teams! Let's begin the review. Team Four, you won. Why did they win?"

Amano raised her hand. "Did they win because they took the initiative right away? Running together?"

He wrinkled his nose in a "kind of" gesture. "Not quite there. Anyone else?"

Riaru raised his hand, his talons gleaming in the light. "Is it because Aizawa took the turtle with her at the beginning of the round?"

"Wait, you did what?!" Tora spun around on Eri, her eyes wide. "Why didn't I know about this?!"

Eri startled and started to cave in on herself. "I, um, tried to tell you but then the round started. So I grabbed it and took it with me when we ran."

Mr. Kaminari grinned and made a sideways finger gun at Riaru. "Right-o. And why is that?"

Okabe put a hand on her chin as she thought deeply. "I think it's because it gave her team an advantage right from the very start. Even if the other team had taken an offensive strategy instead of a defensive strategy, they would have found their hoop with nothing in it. It would have been totally useless. By that time, their team would have lost a solid amount of time."

"Correct. By taking the turtle with her, Eri bought her team more time, and in the end, she brought them to victory, so well done, Eri. Now, points!" He looked down at his clipboard and ran a finger down the list. "Team Four finished with a minute and forty-seven seconds left, which gives them seven points for time. Team Four's strategy of letting Tora distract Yami and Hiku did not work out the way they planned, but Eri's individual strategy earned them some extra points, so ten points. Team Two's strategy of using Yami's shadow travel to take them by surprise and subdue them right away also didn't work out, but Yami's quick thinking and fast action near the end of the round earns them eleven points. 

"Now, in terms of defence, I don't think I can give Team Four any since their entire strategy was based on the idea of attacking. Team Two, on the other hand, gets sixteen points. Hiku, you did a great job of defending your territory and keeping Tora occupied until the end, and Yami did a fantastic job of making Eri work to win. In offence, Team Four gets fifteen points." At this, he grinned at the two girls widely. "You two came out, guns-a-blazin', and you did what you meant to do. Great job, girls. Hiku, your combat skills are commendable, and Yami's understanding of offensive tactics is wonderful, so you get thirteen points."

Mr. Kaminari did some quick math before smiling. "This means that Team Two, you ended the exercise with forty points in total, and Team Four ended with sixty-two. The winners of the class-wide competition are... Drumroll please?"

The students rolled their eyes but started to pat their legs together. 

"Team Five with eighty-five points!"

Himei and Kagayaku cheered and gave each other a sharp high-five. The rest of the class begrudgingly congratulated them, everyone at least a little bit jealous of their success. 

Mr. Kaminari winked at the two boys and said, "I'm sure you're wondering what the super special prize is, aren't you?"

They nodded excitedly.

"You two get... a private lunch meeting with some real-life pro heroes!" He grinned widely. "I have gotten six of my former classmates to agree to do a private lunch meeting with the winners of this challenge, where you will be able to sit down and have a real conversation with heroes that are out there doing the job you hope to do one day. These heroes include Uravity, Cellophane, Pinky, Red Riot, Tail Man, and my very own fiance, Earphone Jack."