Chapter 24: Count With Me

"Eri," the woman sang, her voice cold and sharp as daggers. "I've come to take you to your new home."

Eri's breath hitched. This was who Shinsou had warned her about. This woman who had been hunting her down for God-knows how long. This woman growing ice from her hands into menacing sharp points. This woman who was approaching her classmates, grinning like a cat who'd just cornered a mouse.

The woman's pale blonde hair whipped in the now-stronger wind as she strode forward confidently, leaving behind large, sharp chunks of ice to be swallowed up by the rising tide. Her heels sunk into the sand but didn't slow her down.

Tora bared her teeth and crouched down on all fours, her fangs glinting with the last bit of dying light. "Who the hell are you?" she snarled.

The woman chuckled lightly but didn't respond. Her eyes were only on Eri. Her cold, icy blue eyes bored into Eri's red ones, sending a chill down her spine.

A new home? Eri took a step back, the blood draining from her face. Shinsou had mentioned that whoever was hunting her had documents and files on her. Files from her time in the Shie Hassaikai. Did that mean that they knew about her quirk? What it could do? Could they mean to take what Chisaki had started and... finish it?

Hiku stepped forwards in line with Tora, his eyes ablaze. "We asked you a question," he said stonily, his hands tightening into fists. "Who are you and what do you want with Eri?"

At this, the woman moved her attention to the rest of the class. "Who am I? What do I want? Are these really questions that you're in the position to ask right now? Do you really think that you have the power to beat me?" She turned her palms upwards, creating two long, thin blades out of ice. "Do you think you stand a chance against me?"

Himei's blades shot out of his palms as though a silent challenge. His face was devoid of emotion, his lips pressed into a thin line. Eri's eyes darted between her classmates and this strange woman, realizing what was about to happen.

"Wai--" Eri started to shout before someone clapped a hand over her mouth, wrapping an arm around her waist. She tilted her head back to see Torredo behind her, her friend's brown eyes wide with fear.

"Say nothing," Torredo whispered, her voice sharp. "We need to get you out of here."

Eri pulled her face out of Torredo's grip but stayed as still as possible. "What are you talking about?" she hissed quietly. "Do you not understand what's happening? Our class is getting ready to fight that woman! That could get them all in so much trouble. We can't fight, we need to call a pro hero. Now."

Matsumoto carefully and slowly as to not draw the ice-woman's attention pulled out her phone. "D-do you know a phone number of who we should call?" she asked, her voice quivering in fear.

"Ye--" Eri was cut off by the woman letting out a sharp laugh.

Her jacket was half off of one of the woman's shoulders, her face twisted into a laugh that looked almost painful. Her eyes crunched up and her lips were stretched so wide Eri's own lips started to hurt. "Aw, you're all so adorable, thinking that I care about you enough to waste my energy trying to fight. How cute. No, I'm here for her." With this, she pointed directly at Eri, the smile disappearing from her lips and replaced by that cold expression once more. "So, step aside."

Izumi's lips curled. "Villains like you," he said, his voice low and cold, "are the people I hate most."

The woman whipped her hand in his direction, sending little shards of sharp ice towards his face. He ducked, but still got caught across the cheek. Blood beaded in the wound almost immediately, dripping down his face slowly.