Chapter 39: 1-B's Concern

Matsumoto watched Eri walk away from their class, her friend's entire body tense with some emotion she couldn't quite pinpoint. Matsumoto's usual smile was gone, replaced by an intense expression not missed by their friends. 

The whole class was sitting together in the audience, save for Kokyu, who was currently battling a 1-A student, and Yoru who had already gone off to his waiting area a few minutes prior. The class sat together in little clumps of friend groups, with most of the girls sitting together in the second row, right behind Matsumoto, Torredo, and Himei. A little bit down the second row, Izumi, Sokudo, Shimizu, and Hiku sat talking quietly among themselves, and behind them were the rest of the boys. 

Torredo and Himei watched Eri walk away before seeing Matsumoto's concerned expression.

"Hey, is Eri okay?" Torredo asked, her brows furrowing. "She didn't look great."

Matsumoto shook her head, her short hair lightly hitting her cheeks. "I don't know. I found her crying in the foyer, but she wouldn't tell me what had happened. She even told me not to get help or anything."

Torredo frowned deeply. "That doesn't sound like her." She thought for a moment and her frown only deepened. "I don't know what could have happened to her between lunch with us and now... It was only twenty minutes."

Matsumoto pursed her lips before turning to the rest of the class. "Hey, guys, did anyone see Eri in the last twenty minutes or so?"

Tora leaned over the chair from the row behind them. "No, I didn't see her at all during the break."

Amano and Okabe, sitting beside Tora shook their heads as well. "I only saw her leave the lunch room from where you guys were," Okabe offered.

Tora cocked her head. "Why? Is something up?"

"Well--" Matsumoto started before stopping herself. You can't tell anyone! Eri's words echoed in her mind, and she winced. "I-I can't actually tell you, but it's important. If anyone saw or spoke to her before the third round started, then--"

"I did."

The girls all turned to see Izumi walking over to stand a couple seats away from Matsumoto. His expression, ever the blank slate, held a spark of concern. 

Matsumoto's eyes widened. "You did? What happened? Was she okay? When did you see her?"

He shrugged. "She was alone in one of the stairwells, but I only saw her about fifteen minutes before the match. She looked fine. I talked with her a little bit and then left to find my seat maybe five minutes before the match was supposed to start. That's all I know."

Torredo nodded thoughtfully, running a hand through her long brown hair. "I see," she said. 

Amano frowned. "Wait, is something wrong with Eri? I didn't really notice."

"She told me not to tell anyone," Matsumoto said, wrinkling her nose, "but something definitely happened, and now we know it happened sometime between when she was talking to Izumi and when I found her. I don't know if someone said something to her that made her--I mean, that affected her, or if it's something personal."

Torredo turned to Izumi. "Did you see anyone else near where you guys were? Anyone she could have seen before Matsumoto found her?"

He shook his head. "No, we were alone. I didn't see anyone go in her direction after I left."

Tora leaned forward. "Look, I know we're a little spooked for Eri and all, but..." She raised an eyebrow at Izumi. "You two were alone? Like, alone together?"

All of the girls swivelled their heads in anticipation of his response, eyes wide. Izumi wasn't one to typically hang out with anyone outside of his small friend group, so any news about him branching out was exciting and novel.