Chapter 10: Haruka Amano

Mr. Kaminari stood in front of his class as they stood on a huge field, his hands proudly on his hips. He scanned their uneasy and nervous faces, his smile growing bigger with every passing moment. "This, kids, is where I had my very first class in my first year here at UA. And this is where you too are going to start your hero journeys." He whipped his hand out and pointed at them all. "I'm gonna make you the best heroes you can possibly be, so be prepared to for pain, got it?"

"Yes, sir," the class mumbled, shifting in their spots.

Eri bit the inside of her cheek as she stood in the middle of the class lump, her arms wrapped around her midsection. She knew pain, that was undeniable. But to go in front of her class for a quirk evaluation and have... nothing to show?

Mr. Kaminari grinned. "On my first day, we had different physical tests, and if we failed those tests, we were threatened with expulsion."

The entire class seemed to freeze in place. Expulsion? On the first day of classes?!

"But it was just my teacher playing mind games with us," he continued, making circular gestures around his head. "I'm not going to do that to you because I never really thought it was effective. Instead, we're gonna have a talent show!" Mr. Kaminari spread his arms out wide as though he expected the class to applaud him, but they only stared at him with mild concern and blatant confusion. He sighed and put his hand on his forehead. "You are going to come up one by one and show the rest of the class what you can do. One of the most important aspects of hero work is knowing who you're working with and what they can do, learning who works well with who and what you can offer to everyone else."

A girl with dark, tan skin and long purple hair put her hand to her chin. "That is very true. Without that knowledge, you would have to learn in battle, and that can be detrimental to the outcome of the situation."

"Very good observation miss..."

"Amano. Haruka Amano."

"Miss Amano." Mr. Kaminari nodded. "You're right, but sometimes you have to learn on your feet, which is why while you're demonstrating your quirks, I might... throw something at you that you wouldn't expect."

Quiet murmurs rose from the class. Mr. Kaminari, as Chargebolt, was infamous for pulling off something completely random to throw off his opponents, and he had won many battles that way. But to use the same tactic on his students...

He clapped his hands together and smirked. "So, who's going first?"

No one raised their hand, and silence washed over them like a wave.

Mr. Kaminari sighed and reached behind him to pull out a clipboard that no one had noticed previously. "Well, I guess I just have to pick a name from the class list, then, huh?" He dragged his finger down the paper on the clipboard and read out a name. "Kiri Kokyu."

A boy in front of Eri let out a deep sigh as he raised his hand. "That's me." Eri noticed a puff of vapour leave his mouth as he spoke. He stepped forward in front of the class, his hands buried deep in his pockets. His shaggy brown hair dropped into his eyes, which he pushed back only for it to fall again. 

"Go for it, Kokyu!" Mr. Kaminari grinned. 

Kokyu took in a deep breath and when he exhaled, a thick, opaque fog was expelled, surrounding the rest of the class in mere seconds. Eri waved her hand in front of her face. The fog was thick, and she couldn't even see Torredo, who had been standing right next to her. From where Kokyu was came a timid, "Sorry about that."

"Don't apologize!" Mr. Kaminari's voice broke through the fog. "It's a very good quirk, but, ah, how do you get rid of it?"

"It usually disperses within thirty seconds or so."