Kabanata 60

Reunited

"Before the Awarding of Medals for Academic Excellence and Distribution of Diplomas, may we call our Summa Cum Laude of Batch 2022 for her speech! Ladies and gentlemen, from the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Major in Financial Management, let's give a round of applause to Miss... Kezzrah Chareel Sandilio!"

Dahan-dahan akong tumayo nang tawagin ako ni Ma'am Rolana Dangi.

Iginala ko ang tingin nang makatungtong ako sa entablado. Rech, Rez, Resie, Manang Pina, at ang dalawa niyang kasama. Sina Milie at Sora, ang mga kaibigan ko sa La Union, Avee at Raxie, Prim, at ang lalaking pinakamamahal ko, Anz.

Nagngitian kami at kinindatan niya pa 'ko.

Huminga ako ng malalim bago inilapit ang mic sa aking bibig.

"To our Collegio de Carmona President, Dr. Redolfo Sipol, to our faculty and staff, honorable guests, proud parents and loved ones, and to my fellow graduates, a pleasant afternoon to all of you."

Hindi ako naghanda ng written speech dahil siguradong maiiyak ako't hindi ko mababasa ng maayos ang sulat ko. 

"I will start by sharing one of my favorite Bible verses, Proverbs 16:3. It says that, commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed." huminto ako ng ilang segundo.

"This is true, and I am the living proof of it. Being here is one of my dreams which I thought I wouldn't be able to achieve. I struggled. I sacrificed. I got broke. I got weak. And I almost lost hope. But God didn't let me give up. All my achievements were because of Him. I am here in front of all of you because of Him. I admit that before, there were times that I questioned God. That why me? I am a good person and a religious person, but why are these things happening to me? But I've realized that I have sinned to God for asking and blaming Him. I reflected and cried after realizing that, I should ask myself instead. That, why am I thankful to Him in my happy moments, but ungrateful in my sad moments? I was crying out loud at that time. I admitted all my sins to Him and I asked for forgiveness."

Nakita kong may mga naluluha na't sumasandal sa katabi.

"Words aren't enough to express how thankful and blessed I am for all the things He has done for me. He's behind this journey and success. It was hard to achieve everything I had now, but with God, it became easy and smooth. He gave me the strength, the wisdom, and the bravery to face and surpass all those challenges. I know that there are more obstacles to come, but I know that I have God, and He is greater and powerful than anything." 

Nakita ko ang pagtango nila't pagngiti habang pumapalakpak. Natigil ang aking tingin sa pinakaimportanteng babae sa buhay ko. Nakaupo siya ngayon katabi ang mga magulang ng aking mga kaklase. Pinupunasan niya ang kaniyang luha habang nakatitig sa akin.

Huminga muli ako ng malalim. "To my mother, I still couldn't believe that you are there, sitting, and watching me while you're crying. It has been hard to be far away from you. I had to deal with separation anxiety because we'd not been together for years. There were self-doubts, sleepless nights, breakdowns, and regrets. But the day I saw you again after four years, the heavy feeling became lighter. I feel so overwhelmed and I feel relieved. It's a big mistake that I didn't believe in you. That I didn't trust you. That I didn't fight for you. And that I left you even when I knew that you were alone."

Pinunasan ko ang aking taksil na mga luha.

"But maybe, God let this happen for me to know everything. For us to face the past. For us to defend what is right. For us to heal. For us to forgive. And for us to start a new life with trust and honesty. Ma, thank you. Thank you for letting me see the creation of God. I know it has been hard for you raising me alone, but I salute you for being strong and brave. I promise that I'll trust you and never leave you again. This is for you and for my father, Ma. I love you! I haven't met my father, but I know that he's proud of me." ngumiti ako habang pinupunasan ang aking mga luha.