Chapter 46

Previously on Chapter 45

I just look down at my lap. Tears starts building up in my eyes. As much as I don't want Y/N to lose her life. I don't want Rengoku-San to die either. But if we don't make a choice sooner, Y/N's life is on the line. This ultimatum is so unfair. How are we suppose to choose? Y/N or Rengoku-San. This is just asking us to choose the impossible.

-Time Is Ticking-

Tanjiro P.O.V

There's a lingering silence in the area. I'm still seated on the ground, covering my face with my hands. I've never felt so lost before. I want Y/N to be alright. But I don't want Rengoku-San to lose his life again.

"Rengoku-San has to choose..." I hear Tokito-Kun said. My head snap towards his direction, eyes wide in shock at his suggestion. He turn to look at me. "If neither of us can decide. Then it's up to him! After all, he's the one Y/N saved" he said.

"Knowing Rengoku-San... he'd choose to give up his life so Y/N will get better!" I said. He clenched his hands into tight fists at what I said. "We can't involve him!" I said. He growls angrily as he walks up to me. He grabs me by the collar of my shirt.

"Then what do you suggest us do, Tanjiro?? Wait and watch as your sister grows weaker until she die??" He yelled angrily at me. I just stay silent as I stare at him with a troubled expression. He scoffs as he's clearly angry by my silence. "You're joking, right?? You'd rather wait and watch her die? What kind of brother are you, huh??" He yelled, tightening his grip on the collar of my shirt.

"Tokito-San... please calm down. Let's talk this out with a cool mind, okay?" Zenitsu said, moving to stand closer to us. Tokito-Kun turn his head to look at me. He scoffs as he pushes me harshly.

"There's no time! The longer we wait... the weaker she gets. If neither of you gonna talk about this to Rengoku-San, then I will. He's the one Y/N saved. We can't leave him in the dark..." he said. He turns around to walk away.

"Guys, she's awake!" Shinobu-San said, stopping Tokito-Kun from leaving. We quickly rush inside the room Y/N's in. Y/N is staring at the ceiling as she lay weakly on the bed. I rush to her side and kneels down next to the bed.

"Y/N..." I said. She turn her head to look at me. I notice her left eye looks white, it's not her usual e/c eye color. "Your eye..." I said, staring at her in worry.

"I can't see you with my left eye, Onii-Chan..." she said. My eyes widened at what she said. Just like Rengoku-San. Before she revived him, his left eye was smashed after the fight with the Upper Moon 3.

"You see, Tanjiro?! We have no time. We've got to talk to him!" Tokito-Kun exclaimed. I turn my head to look at him. But he's already running off. I turn my head to look at Y/N who eyed me with a confused gaze.

"It's nothing. I'll go with him. Just rest well, alright?" I said. She just nod her head. I place a soft kiss on her forehead and turn to look at Shinobu-San. "I'll leave her to you, Shinobu-San" I said. She nods her head. I stand up and run after Tokito-Kun, with Zenitsu and Inosuke close behind me.

***

Muichiro P.O.V

I run towards Rengoku-San's house. I hear footsteps close behind me. I turn my head slightly to see Tanjiro and his friends. I turn to look forward as I keep running. I don't want to wait. I have to tell Rengoku-San so the decision can me decided as soon as possible. Y/N's life is on the line as the time keeps ticking. I don't want to wait and risk losing her.

"Rengoku-San!" I yelled out. By this time, the three of them have caught up with me. I keep calling out to the Flame Hashira. The gate slowly opens to reveal his little brother. "Where's your brother?" I said.

"Ani-Ue is going out for some grocery errands" he said. I let out a groan of frustration. He turn to look inside the house and turn to us again. "You can wait inside if you want..." he offered.

"There's no time, she's dying!" I exclaimed, raising my voice a little. His eyes widen at what I said. I step forward but a hand grabs my shoulder. I turn my head to see Tanjiro. He shakes his head, his eyes are pleading at me not to say anything to Rengoku-San's brother.

"What's going on here?" Someone said. I turn my head to see Rengoku-San. He's holding shopping backs in both of his hands. I rush towards him, grabbing the shopping back from his hands and shoved them to his brother. "Tokito... what's gotten into you?" He asked.

"There's no time to explain. You have to come with us" I said. He just stares at me in confusion. I shake my head and grab his wrist. "Now, Rengoku-San. Now! Now!!" I said, as I start to pull him along without giving him a chance to respond. I glare at Tanjiro and his friends for them to follow us as we make our way back to Butterfly Estate.

Time-skip

I pull Rengoku-San with me to the room Y/N is in. I push the door open and pulls him inside. Y/N's eyes are close. But from the sound of our arrival, she slowly opens her eyes to reveal her half-blind eyes.

"Y-Your eyes..." Rengoku-San stuttered. She gives him a weak smile as he walk forward to stand next to the bed. "Why happened?" He asked.

"You happened!" I said, making him turn to look at me in confusion. I hand him the book, that is still open on the same page Tanjiro showed me. About the fatality of being a Shadowhunter. "Just read it..." I said, shoving it in his hand. He didn't say anything and just reads the book.

His eyes widened once he finished. He drop the book and turn to look at Y/N. "T-This is..." he said. Y/N just stares at him in confusion. "Did you know about this?" He said, while staring at her in sadness. She shakes her head at his question. She turn to look at her brother and me. Her eyes asking for explanation.

I walk towards her and take a seat on the edge of the bed. "You're dying, Y/N... you used a forbidden technique when you tried to save Rengoku-San's life. Now your life is at stake to replace his" he said. Her eyes widened at what I said. I turn to look at Rengoku-San who looks down in guilt. I bit my lips and turn to look at Y/N again. "The only way for you to live is... Rengoku-San has to return the life source you gave him. In other words, he has to die..." I said.

"W-What?" She stuttered out. Her eyes wide in disbelief at what I said. I grab the book from the ground and hold it out to her for her to see. Her eyes widened in disbelief as she learns the fatality of her action. Tears starts to stream down her cheeks as she starts to cry.

I scoot closer and gently lift her body up from the bed. I gently embrace her as she leans into my arms. I run my hand through her hair as I turn to look at Rengoku-San. I don't want him to die... but I don't want to lose Y/N.

I don't know what to do...

*to be continued*