6

I felt like a jellyfish.

The frills of my dress tickled my recently shaved legs as I sat in the warmth of his car. Lights from the city caught my eyes as we drove down the busy streets.

"Do you like Italian?" I smiled over at him.

"Who doesn't?" I responded looking around his clean car. Nothing was personalised as if it wasn't his. No sunglasses, rubbish, shoes or even car scents.

"Good, then you'll love this place," I smiled as I rubbed my legs with anxiety.

"Can't wait," I tried to sound excited, which I was, but the anxiety was probably a bit more overwhelming then the excitement.

"So, who do you live with?" My eyes widened as I tilted my head feeling uneasy. Already with the questions?

"My mother," I said plainly, I didn't need to add more information. I've decided to be vague about my life. I didn't know what he wanted with me so I needed to be careful, I mean he already knew where I lived I didn't need him to know all my business.

"Do you like it?" I raised one eyebrow as I looked over at him with a laugh.

"What are you? Protective services?" I laughed but he didn't.

"It's alright," I shrugged.

"Mhm," He responded which made me confused. Why did it sound like he thought I was lying?

"What about you?" I tried to direct the conversation somewhere else.

"I live by myself," I mean the man has two vehicles what did I expect?

"That's cool," I let out a breath looking out of the window.

"We're here," I perked up as we arrived at the valet. Of course he opened the door for me as I awkwardly got out of the car. Everyone looked expensive walking into the restaurant as I stood at the entrance waiting for Elliot to give his keys to the valet.

"You ready?" His hand on my back sent chills up my spine, I couldn't muster up words so I just stiffly nodded as he gently guided me in.

"Mr. Sanchez, welcome back, Javier will show you to your table," The beautiful receptionist smiled brightly as Elliot nodded politely. An old Italian man showed us to a secluded table looking out on the city.

"Could I start you with some wine, sir?" The man still had a thick Italian accent which was like honey dripping from his lips.

"We will start with a bottle of masseto," Javier nodded and left as I sat still. I knew I looked out of place as I played with my hair to make it look a little better. The women who dined here were gorgeous, they looked rich.

"What are you thinking about?" His question made me tear my eyes away from the room and lock onto his.

"I'm thinking about how these people look happy, even though people say money doesn't buy happiness," His mouth tugged up a bit at the comment as he nodded his head slightly.

"Would you hate me if I said that I believe in that statement?" He almost sounded serious even though his face said otherwise. His eyes were playful but his words held some truth.

"I think hate is a very strong word," I countered back with my own truth behind the words.

"Touché," He gave me a nod as he browsed the menu. I couldn't help but look around the room once more with the words that he said bouncing around my head. I guess I do believe him, my uncle won the lottery when I was ten and ended up divorced and living in an apartment by himself. I remember him sitting me down one day and telling me to never get rich because it ruins your soul.