0:01

ALABAMA PSALM AMARI
NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK
MARCH 28, 2023
3:29 P.M

"Donny I can't just come get you - you're lucky I even found a spot to answer your call this fast." Alabama said as she walked into a bathroom stall, locking it behind herself so she could hide.

"I jus' don' want ta' be here B." Her younger brother stressed to her over the phone.

"Where are you right now? How are you jus' making calls during the school day?" She twisted her face up in confusion, although they weren't on FaceTime so he couldn't see her.

"I'm in tha' bathroom. I can't go back ta' class. That teacha' on my dick - deadass, gangsta'." 

She sighed as she heard someone walk into the bathroom, "I can't come get you, you know this. Can you ask mom?" She lowered her tone, to not make it known that it was her in the bathroom stall on the phone, while she was supposed to be working.

"Ion like that bitch - all she gon' do is say 'na' and scream at me." He said, and Alabama could practically see the mug on his face from the way he was talking.

"Don't say that Adonis." She said softly, as she lightly shook her head from left to right, hearing her brothers words.

"It's true! Youn' fuck wit' ha' eitha!"

She rolled her eyes, knowing that her brothers word had a little bit of truth behind them, "But I still have respect for her, exactly what you should have too - listen, I really have to go chief could walk in at any moment."

"I thought ya' chief was a man? Fuck he doin' in tha girls bathroom?"

"He could send someone after me, I'm his shadow today-" Her words came to a stop as she heard the bathroom door open again, before realizing that it was the lady from before leaving, leaving her alone inside of the bathroom.

"See? You my biggest opp, forreal." Adonis said with an attitude, smacking his lips.

"That's fine, just go back to class, please?" She replied with desperation in her tone, ignoring what her brother said knowing that his words weren't true.

"Can I come ova' tonight? I'a take the bus if you can't come get me - I jus' can't go to tha' crib cause I kno' this hunchback ass teacher gon' email ma." 

Alabama brought her left hand up, and scratched the top of her lip, "I don't know Adonis, I really don't. It's so hectic here right now - I don't even know if I'm going home tonight."

On the other side of the phone, Alabama could hear someone talking, which she assumed was a teacher or an administrator from how monotone and direct their voice was, "Mane - Bama, I gotta' go. This bitch done called tha' security on me."

"Good. Go back to class, text me later and tell me if mom is mad, okay?" She said as she unlocked the bathroom stall, and started to walk to the sinks.

Before Adonis could give a reply to his sister, the call got disconnected, by what she assumed was the schools security team, since he wouldn't just hang up like that.

After Alabama took the phone away from her ear, she placed her phone into the front pocket of her scrubs and put four pumps of soap onto her hands. She washed her hands, counting to thirty-five for each hand, and then dried them off.

She walked to the door of the bathroom, and took a deep breath in, and exhaling before opening the door. She pressed her lips into a thin line, as she walked back into the disorganization of the hospital.

She looked from left to right - quickly, making sure that her chief wasn't in the hallway that she was in.

Feeling something go off in her pocket, she mentally checked herself, so she wouldn't loose her composure from how hectic her day was. Everything in the hospital was coming at her full speed - and she had clocked in eight hours ago, so it's been an entire day of it.