N i n e

Much to Violet's surprise, Sal let out a long sigh. "I know..."

"I-you do? How?" The girl inquired, fully turning her body to face him.

"I've been thinking about it too. Oh, shit..." He dropped his head into his hands, muttering a string of curses to himself. "I should've known."

Violet lowered her gaze into her lap, nervously picking at her fingernails. She'd never made Sal angry before. "I'm sorry, Sally."

"Don't be sorry." He lifted his head, using his now free hands to grab her face and force her to look at him. "Don't you dare apologize. This is all my fault, okay? I fucked up, not you."

"But-"

"No. You did nothing wrong, do you hear me? I started it without even asking if you were ready. That was my responsibility as your boyfriend and I didn't do it. I am so fucking sorry for that, Violet. I am so sorry that I fucked it up this fast."

Violet was growing confused. There was no way they were talking about the same thing. She racked her brain for a moment, wondering what on earth he was talking about. The effects of Gizmo's piercing stare was wearing off as she became more and more curious about what Sal was referring to.

"We weren't even a full day into our relationship and I pushed you into that. I was in the wrong. You have nothing to apologize for. Do you understand? Answer me."

Suddenly, everything clicked. Violet reached up, laying her hands over Sal's. Her once guilty expression morphed into one of concern as she noticed that his eye welled with tears. "Sally..."

"I am so, so, so, so sorry I did that to you. I have to be the shittiest guy on the planet right now-"

"Sally," she cut him off, "you didn't push me to do anything. I wanted to do all of that."

He sniffled. "W-What?"

"If I wasn't ready, I would have asked you to wait. I would have said no when you asked."

He leaned forward until his forehead rested against her's and closed his eyes. Several tears slipped down his cheek. "I thought I pressured you. I thought you said yes because I made you feel obligated to."

"No, Sally," Violet soothed. "I didn't think of it that way."

"Oh thank God," he breathed.

"Um, y-you were ready too, right?"

Sal couldn't help but chuckle at this. He opened his eyes once again, stroking her cheeks with his thumbs. "Yes, I was."

Violet leaned into one of his palms, letting out a content sigh. Gizmo stared her down for a few more seconds before finally giving up and finding something else to do. Both teens had forgotten about him entirely, too consumed in one another to notice anything else.

The conversation with Larry resurfaced in Sal's mind. Without his previous fears now dissipated, he felt a hint of pride bubbling in his chest. Violet actually wanted him just as badly as he wanted her. And, well, he probably did a decent job.

"Well, now I have to ask," he said lowly.

"Ask what, Sally?"

"How I did."

Violet was taken aback by this. While she loved seeing Sal behave so confidently, it never failed to throw her off. Blood rushed to her cheeks as a bashful smile came over her face. "You did good."

"You're so cute when you blush like that," he praised her with a smirk. "Tell me, was I the first person to ever touch you like that?"

"Yes," the girl breathed.