Chapter Twelve

Harry and his friends head down to the dungeons, managing too get the large table that fits five students to themselves. As Snape makes sure that everyone is there he stops at Harry's name "Ah, Yes, Harry Potter. Our new... celebrity." he remarks. Harry rolls his eyes, leaning back in his chair and giving Snape a sarcastic smile "You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potionmaking," he began. He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word -- like Professor McGonagall, Snape had the gift of keeping a class silent without effort. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses. . . I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death -- if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach. Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asks. "Fraught of the Living Death." Harry responds easily, having grown up reading his mother's text book notes. "Where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?" Snape continues. "Stomach of a goat." Harry smirks.

"What is the difference, Potter, between monkshood and wolfsbane?" Snape asks him with a smirk of his own. "They're the same thing, also known as aconite. Why don't you try asking someone else some questions? I'm sure you don't want anyone to think you're singling a student out." Harry tells him 'innocently'. Ron and Matty cover their mouths to stop their laughter as Hermione and Eliza bite their lips "Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?" Snape snaps at the other students, everyone immediately rummaging for quills and parchment "And a point will be taken from Gryffindor House for your cheek, Potter." Snape continues. "Of course, Professor." Harry smiles sarcastically. Snape turns his back and starts using his wand to write the instructions for the Cure for Boils potion, Harry high-fiving Ron and Matty as the girls send him smiles "You going to tell Padfoot and Moony about him singling you out?" Hermione asks. "Yeah, after I've set up the prank." Harry grins, sending her a wink as he shows her a bottle of hair dye he has hidden in his robes.

As the class progresses, Snape continues to target the Gryffindors and praise the Slytherins. Somehow Neville melts Seamus' cauldron, their potion spilling everywhere. Within seconds everyone is on their stools while Neville lies on the floor covered in red boils, the potion having spilt over him "Idiot boy!nI suppose you added the porcupine quills before taking the cauldron off the fire? Take him up to the hospital wing. You - Potter - why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? Thought he'd make you look good if he got it wrong, did you? That's another point you've lost for Gryffindor." Snape rants, spinning on Harry. "Actually, Professor, my back is to Seamus and Neville's potion. Therefore I could not have possibly seen what they were doing. If I had seen I'd have told Neville, after all he is my Godbrother." Harry retorts. "Five points from Gryffindor for cheek." Snape snarls, turning back to the others. Harry rolls his eyes and sneaks the hair dye into Snape's chambers, mixing it into the Slytherin Professor's shampoo.