Chapter Fifteen

That afternoon the five friends head to their first flying class, Madam Hooch soon joining the class "Well, what are you all waiting for? Everyone stand by a broomstick. Come on, hurry up. Stick out your right hand over your broom and say 'Up!'" she tells them. Everyone does so, Harry's broom immediately flying into his hand "Show off." Matty jokes, his broom soon flying into his hand. Madam Hooch soon goes down the rows, showing everyone how to safely mount their brooms "Now, when I blow my whistle, you kick off from the ground, hard. Keep your brooms steady, rise a few feet, and then come straight back down by leaning forward slightly. On my whistle - three - two-" she starts. Neville pushes off the ground in fright, shooting into the air "Come back, boy!" Hooch shouts. "He's scared, he's not doing it on purpose." Eliza tells their Professor. Neville slips sideways and falls off his broom, a loud crack resonating round the class. Madam Hooch bends over Neville, checking his arm over "Broken wrist. Come on, boy - it's all right, up you get. None of you is to move while I take this boy to the hospital wing! You leave those brooms where they are or you'll be out of Hogwarts before you can say 'Quidditch'. Come on, dear." she says, leading Neville back to the castle.

As soon as they are out of earshot Malfoy bursts into laughter "Did you see his face, the great lump?" he asks his friends, all the Slytherins joining in with his laughter. "Shut up, Malfoy." Parvati snaps.  "Ooh, sticking up for Longbottom? Never thought you'd like fat little crybabies, Parvati." Pansy sneers. "Look! It's that stupid thing Longbottom's gran sent him." Malfoy says, holding up the remembrall. "Give that here, Malfoy." Harry tells him quietly, everyone stopping their talking to watch. "I think I'll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find - how about - up a tree?" Malfoy suggests, jumping on his broom and taking off. "Give it here!" Harry yells. "Come and get it, Potter!" he retorts, hovering near the top of the trees. Harry grabs his broom "Be careful Harry." Hermione tells him, making him nod before taking off after Malfoy. "Give it here, or I'll knock you off that broom!" Harry threatens. "Oh, yeah?" Malfoy sneers, while looking worried. "No Crabbe and Goyle up here to save your neck, Malfoy." Harry tells him. "Catch it if you can, then!" Malfoy shouts, throwing the glass ball high into the air. The remembrall starts to fall, Harry speeding after it as Malfoy speeds back to the ground. Harry reaches out his hand and catches the remembrall a foot from the ground, quickly straightening his broom before he hits the ground.

Harry topples gently to the ground, the remembrall clutched in his hand "HARRY JAMES POTTER!" McGonagall shouts, rushing out the castle. Harry pales "Oh no..." he mumbles, jumping up as he sees the anger and worry on the Professor's face. "Never - in all my time at Hogwarts - how dare you - might have broken your neck-" McGonagall starts. "It wasn't his fault, Professor-" Eliza tries. "Be quiet, Miss Burns-" McGonagall cuts her off. "But Malfoy-" Ron starts. "That's enough, Mr. Weasley. Potter, follow me, now." McGonagall says, leading Harry into the castle. Hermione and Eliza give Harry a reassuring smile as he passes them, Harry weakly smiling back. McGonagall stops outside a classroom, opening the door and poking her head inside "Excuse me, Professor Flitwick, could I borrow Wood for a moment?" she asks, Harry frowning as he recognises the name of the Gryffindor Quidditch Captain. The fifth year walks out as looks at Harry and McGonagall in confusion "Follow me, you two. In here." McGonagall tells them, leading them up the corridor and into an empty, except Peeves, classroom "Out, Peeves!" she glares. Peeves throws the chalk into a bin and he swoops out cursing, Professor McGonagall slamming the door shut behind him.

The Professor turns to face the boys "Potter, this is Oliver Wood. Wood - I've found you a Seeker." she says. "Are you serious, Professor?" Oliver smiles. "No, Sirius is my Dogfather." Harry grins, McGonagall giving him a look. "Absolutely. The boy's a natural. I've never seen anything like it. He caught that thing in his hand after a fifty-foot dive. Didn't even scratch himself. Charlie Weasley couldn't have done it." McGonagall tells Oliver. "Ever seen a game of Quidditch, Potter?" Oliver asks excitedly. "Yeah, Sirius takes me to any Appleby Arrows game he can." Harry responds. "He's just the build for a Seeker, too. Light - speedy - we'll have to get him a decent broom, Professor - a Nimbus Two Thousand or a Cleansweep Seven, I'd say." Oliver smiles. "I shall speak to Professor Dumbledore and see if we can't bend the first-year rule. Heaven knows, we need a better team than last year. Flattened in that last match by Slytherin, I couldn't look Severus Snape in the face for weeks... As for a broom, I know for a fact his Godfather will be more than happy to get him one. I want to hear you're training hard, Potter, or I may change my mind about punishing you. Your father would have been proud, you know that he was an excellent Quidditch player himself. As was Sirius." McGonagall smiles. Harry smiles "Thanks Minnie." he responds, McGonagall rolling her eyes slightly.