Chapter Sixteen

At dinner, Harry tells his friends what happened with McGonagall "Seeker? But first years never - you must be the youngest house player in about-" Ron starts. "-a century." Harry finishes. "Blimey." Matt remarks. "I start training next week. Only don't tell anyone, Wood wants to keep it a secret." Harry tells his friends, making them nod in understanding. Fred and George walk in and over to the five friends. "Well done, Wood told us." George tells Harry quietly. "I tell you, we're going to win that Quidditch cup for sure this year. We haven't won since Charlie left, but this year's team is going to be brilliant." Fred adds just a quietly. "Anyway, we've got to go, Lee Jordan reckons he's found a new secret passageway out of the school." George tells them. "Bet it's that one behind the statue of Gregory the Smarmy that we found in our first week. See you." Fred sighs as he and George walk off. As they leave Malfoy takes their spot, Crabbe and Goyle flanking him "Having a last meal, Potter? When are you getting the train back to London?" Malfoy asks. "You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you." Harry responds coolly.

"I'd take you on anytime on my own. Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only - no contact. What's the matter? Too scared?" Malfoy asks, Harry rolling his eyes. "No, just surprised an idiot like you would know what one is. Ron's my second, who's yours?" Harry asks. Malfoy looks at Crabbe and Goyle, sizing them up "Crabbe. Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked." he responds, walking off. "What if I wave my wand and nothing happens?" Harry asks. "Throw it away and punch him on the nose." Matty suggests. "You're idiots, you know that?" Eliza asks them. "Well..." Harry trails off with a grin. Hermione rolls her eyes "We're coming with you, only to keep you out of trouble." she tells them. "What makes you think we'll get in trouble?" Matty asks. "Your my twin and Hermione has known Ron and Harry since they were three, past experience tells us that you're idiots who need us to keep you out of trouble." Eliza tells her twin, Matty looking at her indignantly.

That night, Harry lies in bed waiting for Seamus and Dean to fall asleep so he, Ron and Matty can sneak out and meet Eliza and Hermione in the common room. Soon enough, the two boys fall asleep "Half-past eleven, we'd better go." Ron pipes up. The three friends get out of bed and pull on their dressing gowns, walking down to the common room to meet the girls "I still can't believe you're going to do this, Harry. Actually, I can." Hermione mutters. "Come on." Harry tells them, leading them out the common room. Walking down to the end of the corridor, they all stop when they hear a snuffling sound "Mrs. Norris?" Ron suggests, squinting through the dark. Looking round, they see Neville curled up asleep on the floor, jerking awake when he hears them "Thank goodness you found me! I've been out here for hours, I couldn't remember the new password to get in to bed." he explains. "Keep your voice down, Neville. The password's 'Pig snout' but it won't help you now, the Fat Lady's gone off somewhere." Ron tells him, turning to see the fat Lady gone from her portrait. "How's your arm?" Matty asks him. "Fine, Madam Pomfrey mended it in about a minute." he responds, showing them his headed arm. "Good -- well, look, Neville, we've got to be somewhere, we'll see you later-" Ron starts. "Don't leave me! I don't want to stay here alone, the Bloody Baron's been past twice already." Neville tells them, scrambling to his feet. "Fine, but you have to be quiet. We don't want to get caught." Ron sighs.

They all walk down the corridors, walking as fast but as quiet as possible. Reaching the trophy room, they find it empty "He's late, maybe he's chickened out," Ron whispers. Just then, a noise in the next room makes them jump "Sniff around, my sweet, they might be lurking in a corner." Filch says. Harry's eyes widen. Motioning for the others to follow him, the six of them quietly scurrying out the door "They're in here somewhere, probably hiding." Filch tells Mrs Norris. "This way!" Harry mouths, creeping down the corridor of suits with the others following him close behind. Neville suddenly let out a frightened squeak and breaks into a run, tripping over he grabs hold of Ron as he falls. The two of them topple into a suit of armour, crashing and clanging ricocheting round the hall "RUN!" Harry yells, running down the corridor with his friends following.