The Investigation Begins (.2)

Sunny stood stuck in place while White went to get Wolf. Just staring at the woman's head for what felt like hours.

"So... Who found her?" Wolf asked.

"I did. She was just like this. I didn't touch her. I called Fei; then I grabbed Grimble's jacket to cover her with...then... I came to get you."

Sunny still felt like the woman was staring at her somehow.

"No one else was with you?"

"No," White paused for a moment. "Bigby, did one of us...do this?"

"There hasn't been a murder in Fabletown in...a long time...Not since-" Wolf stopped himself when his eyes landed on Sunny.

"All the more reason we shouldn't start a panic before we know what's going on," White told them while watching people pass by on the street. "Have a look around. We don't have much time before people will be coming through here."

"Can I just..." Sunny kneeled down and closed the woman's eyes. Finding that the eyes were staring up at her was starting to get to Sunny.

"Strange cut...what did this to her?" Wolf wondered.

"What could do something like that?" Snow asked in concern.

"I think it had to be something magical," Sunny guessed. "Something about her veins doesn't seem right."

"She was placed here with some care," Wolf noticed.

"What do you mean?" White questioned.

"You can see that someone didn't just toss her here. She was deliberately placed...for us to find."

"What kind of monster would do this?" White shook her head.

Sunny stood back up and moved to place a comforting hand on White's shoulder. Which she seemed to appreciate. As she did this, Wolf continued examining the head. Finding something lodged in her mouth.

"That's-" Sunny took a breath. "That's the ribbon she was wearing."

Wolf lifted the ribbon up to show Sunny and White that the ribbon had a silver ring tied around it. "There's some kind of symbol here."

"Hm. I...I don't recognize it." White said.

"Neither do I." Wolf agreed.

"Ugh, I...I'm sorry, this is just so surreal." Snow told Wolf as he got up. "Uh, what, what do you want to do next?"

"We still have some time...I should keep investigating the area." As Wolf started looking around, Sunny moved towards the head. She turned to White for a moment. Silently asking if she could. Once White nodded, Sunny covered the head and held it in her arms.

"I'm sorry," White said quietly.

"For what?" Sunny replied. Not sure what White meant.

"You've only been a deputy for a few hours and... And to have something like this happen. It's just so...I can't even think."

Sunny nodded her head in agreement. "It's not how I pictured it going, but I'm going to do my job and find out who did this."

"Someone brought her in from the outside," Wolf explained as he made his way back over to the two of them.

"That checks out. There's no sign of a struggle. But how do you know for sure?" Sunny questioned.

"I found blood on the fence back there. Someone hopped over."

"Okay, good. That's solid. So someone from the outside... Well, at least they didn't come from inside the Woodlands." White signed in relief.

"Where do we go from here?" Sunny asked White.