That Lying Amphibian (.3)

TW: Meations of someone getting attacked and Mentioned Suicide Attempt

-

Sunny had a hard time trying to hail a cab when trying to get to Toad's place. She held a hand over her eyes. Squinting from the rising sun. She had just about had it when she spotted two familiar faces.

"Aren't you meant to be working?" Catriona jested as Liena ran towards her mother.

"I am," Sunny told her as she returned her daughter's hug.

"Don't tell me they've got you doing coffee runs?" Catriona suppressed a laugh.

From the outside, Catriona often came off as aloof or uncaring. Due to knowing the woman her whole life, Sunny was aware this was how she covered up her worry.

"I'm just checking up on someone," Sunny told her.

"Can we come with you?" Liena asked hopefully.

"I don't think that's allowed," Sunny said with an unsure shrug.

"We were actually heading that way," Catriona grinned as she managed to hail a cab.

"You don't even know where I'm going," Sunny pointed out.

"Well, you can tell us on the way," Catriona said as she stepped into the cab.

"How-" Sunny stopped herself mid-sentence. There was no point in questioning it. She hopped into the taxi after her daughter. She knew by this point if Catriona wanted to do something, 'protocol' wasn't gonna stop her.

During the drive over to Toad's, Sunny chatted with her aunt about the events of the previous night. A part of her brain knew that she shouldn't be saying anything, but Catriona would get the truth out of her eventually.

"There's a kid who lives there?" Liena asked with a glint in her eyes. "I didn't think there were any other kids around here."

"He's around your age, I think," Sunny humoured her.

The taxi dropped them off at the apartment as Sunny recounted the events. "And they ended up going out the window and landed on Toad's car."

"Toad must have loved that," Catriona chuckled.

"It looks so much worse in the light," Sunny said to herself.

"There's someone upstairs," Liena pointed to the hole in the second story.

Sunny looked up to see someone who seemed to be shifting through the Woodsmen's apartment. At first, she thought it was maybe a glamoured Toad.

"Is that you, Toad?" Sunny called. Only for the person to book it.

"Wait here," Sunny told Catriona and Liena. Her aunt took Liena's hand. Keeping the younger Fei from running off.

Sunny rushed up the stairs and around the corner. Making her way through the busted open door. Only to find nothing. Whoever it was disappeared by the time she got there.

"Damnit!" Sunny frowned as she walked to the hole. She looked down to check on Liena and Catriona.

Sunny was gonna look around to see if she could tell if the man had taken anything significant. Only to stop when she heard crying from downstairs.

"I'm sorry!" The voice cried as Sunny made her way back to the first floor.

"That's enough, alright! Just shut it!" An older voice that was definitely Toad's shouted.

"Is that his son?" Liena asked. Now standing in the doorway with her great aunt.

"I think so," Sunny nodded. She looked to Catriona, who only gave her a concerned look.