Chapter II: The Scene of the Crime

The body of Hattie McClaren appears calm and content. Her face is notably slack, and she lies comfortably atop her coverlet on her bed. Her arms are daintly draped across her body, and her eyes are already closed.

"Madame," Angela asks, "This is no accident. Look here, there is odd bruising on her neck, clearly she was strangled by someone small, probably female. 

"What might you be able to tell me about Hattie, Madame?"

Madame stares at Angela in the most offended manner, saying, "You can't take this investigation, Angela! We must have the police investigate properly."

Jennie rises from the bed to answer Angela.

"Hattie is twenty three, originally from New York City. She used to be a nanny, back when she was fifteen. She kept to herself mostly, and didn't really have very many friends. The only other maid she was close to was Liesel Von Petz, but Liesel is back in Germany visiting her family. She occasionally talked to her roommates. They're Penny King, April Greene, and Abigail Eire. All of the girls were out last night, and they were all together the entire time. I talked to her often as I could, poor dear. She mentioned struggles with her past, possibly an employer from when she was a nanny. All of her family is dead except for her sister Elise McClaren, who resides in New York."

"That's quite enough, Jennie. Now, Miss Liddel. You cannot take this case. It is a matter for proper police investigation, not for an amateur detective who hasn't had a day of training." Madame waves her hands flamboyantly.

"Are you quite certain that you'd like all the press, Madame? Imagine the headlines. Maid Murdered in Esteemed Private Academy. " Angela remarked quippily, "How embarrassing. Besides, it's obvious you haven't the time to concern yourself with the police. Haven't you a darling little daughter to care for?"

Madame holds her head high and replies, "You have a fair point, Miss Liddel. I will be contacting the Academy's liaison police officer to inform her of this death. I will also be informing Officer Lydia MacGuire that our new student Miss Liddel will be taking care of this case."

"How shortly can Officer MacGuire inform us of the cause of death?" Angela asks of Madame.

"We'll know for certain by tonight, but if you'd like to search around in her room, you may. Miss Liddel, classes start next week and I do hope that you are able to solve it before then." Madame responds airily.

Angela pulls on the forensic gloves that Madame had given to her and began her search for fingerprints or any other evidence.

Firstly, Angela inspects the body. The only interesting clue is a pendant around Hattie's neck that is oddly tucked into her blouse. The chain is gold and the pendant is a locket with the intials ABT engraved in a lacey cursive font. Angela quietly dusts for fingerprints, but the locket has been wiped clean. She places her fingernail in between the opening and opens the locket. Inside is a small photograph of a family. Angela instantly recognizes one of the people as Hattie. The four others are all familiar. This is a smaller print of the photo on Madame's desk. It's clearly Madame's family, but there are two daughters and a husband. On the other side was a different There's somewhere else Angela's seen this photo, but she can't quite place it. Perhaps it was in the newspaper? Angela quietly slips the locket in an evidence bag and then pockets it. She wants to be the one to bring this to Madame. Angela slips into the library because there is something she needs to confirm in order to test her theory. It checks out, and Angela is one step closer to understanding why Hattie McClaren was killed. 

Angela returns to the maid's room in order to find more evidence. In Hattie's personal belongings she finds identification and numerous newspaper clippings that are at least five years old. Hattie's passport confirms who she is, Harriet Johanna McClaren of Birmingham, England. She's originally from Dublin, Ireland. After being a nanny for five years in England, she came to the states in order to work as a maid. The odd thing was, she came to the Academy to work right away. This certainly fits Angela's latest theory, but she felt the need to determine more facts about this case.

In Hattie's nightstand drawer, Angela discovers a paper bag suitable for students to carry his or her lunch. Within rests a variety of small boxes, meant to contain jewelry. A variety of expensive jewelry is concealed within these boxes; pearls and diamonds, among many more rare jewels. The appearance of these jewels prompt Angela to cement her theory. There is no other explanation sufficient to explain why a young maid not even married had such riches in her possession.

As Angela turns to leave, the door bursts open and a young girl stands spookily in the doorway.

"What do you think you're doing in my room?" the girl demands.

Angela takes in this peculiar girl. She is short in stature, but clearly made up for her height in personality and vocality.  Her brown eyes are anything but plain, and they appear welcoming and friendly. 

This girl can't be more than fifteen, and a maid.

"My name's Angela, I'm investigating the death of Hattie McClaren. Are you her roommate?" the student replies, outstretching her hand in greeting. She's a doll, really. Her dark hair is nearly black and floats supernaturally about her shoulders.

"Whatever," the girl begins, flopping down on her bed, "I'm Penelope Topaz, but you'd better call me Penny. Hattie was my old roommate." Her brown eyes are anything but plain, and they appear welcoming and friendly, but currently they are cold and angry.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Penny. May I ask a few questions about Hattie?" Angela responded by taking a cautious step toward the girl.

"Yes, you may. What is it that you'd like to know?" Penny replied lightly.

"For start, how did you meet Hattie