Chapter VII: The Conclusion Part I

"In the famous words of Richard Poole (from the BBC TV series "Death in Paradise"), there are three things that are required to commit murder. One needs means, motive and opportunity." I tell the group after I gather them together.

"What's the purpose of this Angela?" Penelope demands to know.

"Due to evidence brought up by Jennie, Madame LeFoux cannot possibly be the murder of Hattie McClaren. Now, Penelope, it was discovered that Madame LeFoux was accounted for during the entire time period that Hattie was murdered. The forensic team tells us that Hattie was murdered between the hours of 8:00-8:40pm that night. Madame LeFoux was in a meeting from 7:30-9:30. There's no possible way that our Headmistress killed the maid Hattie McClaren ."

Lilyana Dobrev had been quiet this whole time until now.

"What is your point, exactly? I mean to say, did you or did you not call us together to accuse the true murderer of Hattie? If you're just rambling, then I'm leaving."

Lilyana stands abruptly to exit.

"Not so fast, Lilyana!" I say, "Turn around and go back to your seat."

A look of sheer terror spreads across her face as she realizes what is happening. As if in a trance, she ever so slowly returns to her seat.

"Lilyana, will you please tell me what you were doing between the hours of 8:00 and 10:00 the evening that Hattie McClaren was murdered? I believe you were occupied during the interview time and did not give me a satisfactory answer as your work was exhausting that day." I patiently wait for her to answer.

"I've already told you, Ms. Angela." Lilyana begins, "I was visiting my ill mother in the village. Penelope can confirm my alibi."

I study Lilyana's reaction very carefully.

"Lilyana, you've never told me this alibi before. Earlier, you told me that you were here in the school the whole night and your shift partners Jennie and Penelope could confirm. She confirmed that you were with her until the hour of 9:00 when you claimed that there was a family emergency and you had to leave to go to the village in which your mother lives. No one saw you after the hour of nine. What exactly did you do after you left the school, step by step. Don't leave anything out this time, okay? You left. How did you find out that your mother needed you in Grace Hallow?

"I received a telegram while on duty. Jennie and Penelope can confirm this to be true."

"Lilyana, that's not true. After cleaning a room in the West Wing, you told us you had a family emergency and had to leave. We promised to tell Madame that you had to leave the school grounds. We never saw any letter or telegram of any sort." Penelope suddenly bursts.

"Lilyana, tell me what you did the night that Hattie was murdered." I say faintly but assertively.

This is the moment that Lilyana snaps because she simply can't take it anymore.

"Fine! I did it. I killed Hattie. I am the one who did it. Me, a lowly maid. Lilyana Dobrev. I'm a murderer. I did the act of killing Hattie McClaren."

"Lilyana, what's your real name?" I ask placidly.

"What? What do you mean by that?" Lilyana exclaims, "You know what? I don't need this. I'd rather get interrogated by the police."

"Lilyana, what is your real name?" My temper changes, becoming more demanding.

"My name is Lilyana Therese Dobrev! I am from Bulgaria, as my mother was and her mother and her mother before her. I immigrated when I was three years old. When my mother died when I was five, I was orphaned and raised by a foster family."

"I believe the majority of your story, except the part about your name. Your true name is Annaleis "Liesel" Elodie Blackburn, the missing elder daughter from the Blackburn family scandal. Having held in your emotions at working with your previous babysitter Hattie, you couldn't take it anymore. You snapped, killing Hattie. The only problem was, you were going for revenge, correct?"

"Yes. I was angry. It's all Hattie's fault that my younger sister is dead. My mother was gone, until I came to work here when I became old enough. Imagine her surprise when I told her I was her daughter! I hatched my plan, and framed my mother. I have no shame in that because she never took me with her, she abandoned me!"

"Lilyana- or should I say Liesel- your mother is currently being held for the crime that you committed."

"No, please don't call me that! I am no longer Liesel. That's who I once was. I have become Lilyana Dobrev, and I intend to continue using her- that name." Lilyana bursts.