Chapter III: Concerning Evidence

Based on what I've seen, I can deduce this much:

There is someone with the initials DBE that has a connection to Hattie, so I must research to discover Hattie McClaren's past.

Hattie McClaren has been a maid for a very long time. When she was twenty, she was involved in a murder, concerning her employer, his wife, and his daughter. The employer and his daughter were brutally murdered, but the wife somehow escaped. They were a very famous family, The Blackburn family once had a lot of political power, and became famous because they had bought a massively large diamond from an auction. This all occurred before the scandal that involved the father and daughter. 

 Next on my checklist, I suspect that Penelope really wasn't at a party the night of the murder. I have to ask around. 

"Hey, Jennie?" I ask as she enters Madame's office, "Can you tell me if there was a party Penelope might have attended the night of the murder?"

"I'm not positive. I was visiting my mother that evening, in McCook- the next town over. But two other girls would certainly know. Lilyana Dobrev and Cheyenne Lyons reside on the second floor in room two hundred and twenty in the west wing. If there had been a party, those two would certainly have known."

"Thank you, Jennie, I appreciate it very much." I reply as I race out of the room in pursuit of the truth. 

Neither Lilyana or Cheyenne had even heard of a party the night of the murder. They admit that they certainly would have attended.

This is very interesting. What reason would Penelope have to lie about a party? 

I must ask Penelope what she really was doing the night of the murder. I've decided to attempt my technique: to flatter her very much- so much that she trusts me. I know little about Penelope, but I know that anyone is prepared to confide in someone who calls her a friend.

Immediately, I begin to seek out Penelope.

I request for Madame to summon her. When she arrives I begin with a simple strategy.

"Hello, Penelope. I love your dress! It really brings out your eyes." I remark as casually as possible.

"Thank you, I suppose?" she replies apprehensively.

"I don't want to know anything from you, except I want to know if you'll be my friend. So, friends?"

"How can I resist. Friends!" she said enthusiastically.

"So, Penelope. What were you really doing the night of the murder? I mean, since we are friends and all."

"Um, I- Okay. Fine. I'll tell you, but you'll be sorry you ever tried to give me false comfort and pretend to be my friend. I was at my mother's funeral. No one else knows that I'm an orphan now, so that's why I made up the party. I don't want people feeling sorry for me, but I don't have to worry because nobody cares about me at all. They just use me. Just like you." And with that, Penelope storms out of the room, slamming the door.

"Angela, don't you think that was a little harsh." Madame LeFoux asked a question, but it sounded like a statement.

"This whole detective thing- it's not good for me, Madame. I'm going to do some more research." I reply, guilt overwhelming me.

"No-no, don't. Just go to bed, Angela. It's late." she says very assertively, "You must attend the orientation meeting early in the morning. I wouldn't want you to be too tired to pay attention."

Hmm. I decide to do some additional research because that was very suspicious.

"Madame, are you married?"I ask innocently

"Why, no. No. Why do you ask? I'm not married. No. Not at all."

I suspect Madame is trying to cover something up. She's truly a terrible liar. It's almost definite. Well, her title is not Mademoiselle, and her being called Madame implies that she is married... or was.