Chapter I: Murder is Announced

Angela Liddel stares forlornly out of the window in the limousine. Movies and novels often romanticize boarding school, but the concept is daunting to the sixteen year old. The Atlantic Ocean is rather unimpressive; nothing like she'd expected, and so far feels general disappointment amid arriving at Madame LeFoux's Academy for Exemplary Young Ladies. She felt a certain disdain to her mother for sending her away, and Angela wasn't certain what she was expecting, but this certainly wasn't it. She treks up the steps to the large mansion, uncertain of what would come next.  Angela takes a deep breath, and sounds the large lion head knocker, and the door swings open. 

 "Hello?" Angela calls out, but there is no response. 

She decides to search for the headmistress's office so that she might become more acquainted with the building.As she turns a corner she collides with a petite woman.

 "Pardon me, darling." She says, picking up her pocketbook from the ground. 

As she returns to standing, she sees Angela clasping on to her suitcase for dear life."This must be the new student, Miss Liddel." The woman murmurs to herself. 

Her chestnut brown eyes, smile fondly down at the student."Yes, it's Angela Liddel." The girl says uncertainly, "Who might you be?" 

"Pleased to make acquaintances Miss Liddel, darling, I am Headmistress Ariadne LeFoux, but you may simply call me Madame. I am the headmistress. If you'd like to follow me, let's begin by giving you a tour of these grounds." The woman's grin is startling, as she doesn't seem the type to smile very often. 

The headmistress leads Angela to the dining hall, and as they approach the room, Madame pauses before throwing the double doors open. The dining hall is vast, with long wooden benches and identical long tables fill the room. It's a grand room, and ornate in style. 

 "What sort of classes are available?" Angela asks, even more disappointed. 

This school intends to teach stuffy rich girls how to embroider and keep house."A highly unusual education is in store for you, Miss Liddel, darling. We specialize in more... investigative skills and covert operations." Madame LeFoux replies, eying Angela's reaction cautiously.

 "Pardon, Madame. I don't understand... This is school for spies?" Angela asks, utterly dumbfounded, "I thought that your establishment was just another boarding academy for rich girls." 

 Madame LeFoux beckons for Angela to follow her, and leads the student to her new dormitory room. "Darling, strictly speaking, you may utilize your education however you chose. You might have an interest in investigative fieldwork; there are many more options. You explained that your mother attended this school in your application. You are a brilliant young lady, and you have much to learn here. You, Miss Angela Liddel, will make history in these hallowed halls of learning. Welcome to Madame LeFoux's Academy for Exemplary Young Ladies; I expect you will be a spectacular asset to this school." 

Angela looks down at her new bed, feeling a moment of choosing. This conversation with Madame might secure her future in a field of her choosing. She fiddles with her simple pearl ring as she thinks. Angela's mother worked as a detective for the city police department in their old town, and always told her stories about helping people. Detective work resembles solving a puzzle, Angela thought it always seemed worthwhile .

 "Miss Liddel, you may switch to another field any moment you chose at any point in any semester. You always have a variety of elective classes that you might find enjoyable. Term starts in a week, and when you've made your class choices, please come to me in my office. Here is a list of all your options." Madame rests her hand on Angela's shoulder. 

"Madame, I would love to take classes in investigative fieldwork. I think I'm going to enjoy my time at the Academy." Angela replies, thrilled. 

That was before the murder happened, obviously. 

 Madame continues the tour, ending at her office. "If you need anything at all, I am in the headmistress's office most of the time," Madame begins before the door bursts open, interrupting her thought."Whatever is the matter, Jennie darling?" Madame asks concerned at the look of pure terror on her face.

 "Ooh, its so horrible to say, Madame." Jennie flops down in the empty armchair.Angela watches this encounter curiously, as Jennie's actions show a highly dramatic nature. 

"Truly, Jennie. Whatever could have you so wound? Have you anything more important than interrupting this tour with the new student?" Madame's frustration and nagging seem fairly commonplace to Angela.

 "We have a new student?" the maid asks, brightening, "My name's Jennie, Miss. How do you do?" 

 "Fine, thank you. Please tell us, what is such an excess of complaining about?" Angela asks gently. 

Jennie's wispy blonde hair sneaks out of her cap as if trying to run away. Her piercing green eyes stare intently at Madame. "A telegram came saying that a maid is dead. They said that they assume responsibility for the murder of Hattie McClaren, the newest maid. It was a joke, I figured. That is, until Hattie's roommate discovered her body lying in her bedroom, all laid out proper-like." 

Madame simply stared at Jennie as if she'd spoken an incantation to summon the devil himself.

 "Right this way, Madame. Her body's this way." Jennie speaks in hushed tones, as if she was afraid that if she spoke too loud this would become much too real. 

"We'd better go investigate." Angela adds, noting Madame's unconcerned face, staring at a photograph on her desk. 

 "Yes. I suppose we should." Madame says, continuing to stare at this photograph.