Prologue

(A/N: Hi and welcome. I hope you like this story that is a Will Turner fanfic. The face claim is Katie McGrath. Please don't plagiarise it. But yeah, vote, comment and enjoy! We're starting off with the Curse of the Black Pearl. XxD)

*****************************************************************

What does it mean to be a pirate?

Most people believe that it's simply scraggily old men on a derelict ship, fighting with swords and stealing other people's treasure. Or if you're a woman or a reader, you think of the sole female captain who defies the odds, who looks young and beautiful in a corset, leather boots, a pirates' hat and a sword at her hip, but could really kill you if she wanted to.

Being a pirate has nothing to do with the way you look - yes, it may be a mostly male thing, but it has nothing to do with gender or race or abilities or who has the biggest ship or the most treasure. Being a pirate has everything to do with who you are.

Does your heart yearn for the sea? For adventure? To earn the treasures you seek with the whit of your mind, the sharpness of your tongue and the skill of your sword? To fight in arms with a crew that knew nothing but loyalty? To weather many a storm as you stood at the helm, to spy enemies from atop the crow's nest, to light canons and swab decks and restitch sails?

Being a pirate was probably the furthest away from a glamorous life that you could get. But it was one of the most fulfilling lives a person could lead.

Nothing was sweeter than the smell of the wind when you'd bested your enemy and held their treasure in your hands, or when you'd gunned down a navy ship and set free the many slaves they were carrying.

Pirates took prisoners, not slaves. It was one of the more agreed-upon unspoken rules of the Pirate's Code.

And to Cordelia Barbossa, the life of a pirate was all she'd ever known. And never would she stray from this life.

She lived for it.

She lived for the fighting, the plunder, the sailing, the swearing. If a sailor's mouth was filthy, she had no idea what her mouth was then, only that it was worse, for she was no sailor, she was a pirate. She was descended from a pirate. Pirating was in her blood. And blood would not be the only thing spilt, nor the only price paid on this adventure.

Because while being a pirate may come with many good things, there was a downside. The life they lived could often be lonely. Because as snobbish and prissy as posh land-dwellers could be, they had one thing that pirating did not accommodate. Love.

Sure, they had love for their crew, for their captain, for their code, for their treasure, but true love in the romantic sense was foreign to them.

And while Cordelia was more concerned with taking her father's place as captain one day - well, after they overcame a few...obstacles - and commandeering her own crew (ideally one with a few more women in it) - than she was with falling in love, destiny, it would seem, had other ideas for her.

And those ideas began with the Black Pearl.