Chapter 28

M/n immediately stood up, body tensed, unsure if he had heard right. "What?"

"We investigated the boy's background and found a few relatives," the woman said again. "But none of them were found suitable to take care of him. They're his grandparents, however, it was found that they don't have the means to house the boy. With their permission, the reins have been handed over to you."

M/n could hardly find the means to give her answer. He couldn't believe it. "Mr. L/n?"

"I-I'm here," he replied, regaining his composure. "Yes. So, what's next?"

"Well," she said. "I have here that your home inspection is set to take place later today. As for finances, the court's already aware that you're more than able to financially support another child in your home."

"That's right."

"All the CPA wants to know now is if you have a suitable home life for him. If you pass the home inspection, I'll give you another call and we'll have you come down to the court to sign some documents."

M/n sighed in relief. "Thank you very much, Ms. Magnolia."

"It's no problem," she replied. "I'll let you go now. Best of luck, Mr. L/n."

M/n's hands were shaky as he hung up the phone. A smile tugged at the corners of his lips. It was a weight off his shoulders to hear such good news. After he let that info properly sink in, he made a call to his parents' house.

It rang for a bit before someone picked up. "Hello?" came the sound of Mitch's voice.

"Hey," M/n said. "Dad, I've got some news for you and Mom."

Mitch sounded surprised to hear that. But he figured from M/n's tone that it had to be good news. Immediately, he called out to his wife, who had been sitting in the living room reading.

"Honey, M/n's on the phone," the (h/c)-ette heard him say.

After a while, he heard his mom's voice too. "Hello!" she greeted. "How've you been?"

"As of right now, I'm the best I can be," he replied, that smile still on his face.

"Said he had some news for the both of us," Mitch added.

"Really? What is it? We're all ears."

"So, the lady from the CPA just called and let me know how the investigation went," M/n explained, receiving some small gasps from them. "She said they found some relatives but they decided to hand guardianship over to me, so long as I pass the home inspection."

Immediately, the two of them cheered. M/n had filled them in on the situation a few days prior, so they knew about Eren and the things he was going through. Just like M/n, they had been waiting for an update on the situation. So, to hear this was amazing news.

"I'm sure things will work out in your favor, M/n!" Mitch said.

"I can't wait to have another grandson! Oh, I'm certain S/n will be thrilled!"

The (h/c)-ette nodded. "Yes. I'll have to talk with him when I come by to pick him up at your house."

"Why don't we all talk to him about it?" his mother suggested. "He may have trouble understanding the situation and it'll be better if we're all present to tell him."

"You're right," M/n replied. "In that case, I'll be there once the home inspection is done."

His mother chuckled, clearly still feeling giddy about the news. "I'm sure you'll do well. And if they start to have any doubts about your abilities, I'll be there to back you up, don't you worry!"