Swayamvar

Continuation.......

The hair braiding ritual was over. Dharmini was busy eating as she already knew that she wouldn't be able to eat the whole day at all. Suddenly, a thousand thoughts and memories flashed in her mind.

Flashback {Kaliyug}

"Maaaa..." A little girl called her mother.

"Yes? Dharmaa" Her mom acknowledged.

"What's a shadi(marriage) ma?" She asked innocently.

"Hmmm....shadi is something that happens between those who love eachother unconditionally and are sure that they can be happy with each other for the rest of their life" Her mom replied lovingly taking her in her lap.

"Really?! Then I will marry you ma" She said grinning.

Her mother laughed kissing her cheeks.

"No, beta you can't marry me" She said lovingly.

"Why ma? Don't you love me unconditionally and be happy with me the rest of your life?" Little Dharmini asked sadly.

"No, beta you marry someone who is similar to your age and is a good friend first" Her ma said trying to make her little self understand the meaning of marriage.

"Huh? I don't understand ma?" She tilted her head confused.

"Hmmm why don't you ask your papa dear" Her mom said smiling down at her.

"Okayyyy.......PAPAAAAAA" She screamed running towards her father who was working in his other room.

"Haan Princess?" (Yes?) Her father replied picking her up.

"What is marriage papa?" She asked with the same level of innocence.

"The thing I did with your mother beta" He said smiling.

"Huh?" She was confused.

"My bad..... your mom and I married each other beta" He replied.

"Because you love her unconditionally and are happy with her for the rest of your life?" She asked grinning.

"Yep!" Her father said spinning her around and then kissing her forehead.

"Then why can't I marry her papa?" She asked still not getting her real answer.

"Because marriage is done between someone you love romantically beta" He replied smiling.

"Rom....rom.ro what?!" She asked.

"Hmm you will understand when you get older my dear" He said smiling.

"I don't know what it is but I want to marry someone who will love me like you love ma...." Little Dharmini said kissing his cheeks.

Her father smiled at her kissing her forehead.

"I promise I will always support you and search for someone who will love you like I love your mom dear" He promised.

"Pinky promise?" Dharmini raised her little pinky finger.

"Pinky promise!" He said intertwining his pinky finger with her little one.

***********

Dharmini was in tears remembering her family. She had a family that everyone wished for.