Everyone - Christmas special!! - 19k words

Shoutout from September, when I'm writing this! Hello hello, happy Christmas/Hanuka/Kwanzaa/Winter Solstice/ break from school or work if you don't celebrate a winter holiday (she's an educated bitch)! This one is slightly shorter than the last special, as it happens over a day, rather than three, I hope that's alright. Please do keep your comments and suggestions coming, I do love the combinations that you silly sausages come up with.

(~~~)

Sleepily, Harry rubbed his eyes and sat up in bed, reaching up to the slim shelf Snape had built especially for his glasses. He must have fallen asleep in Snape's quarters again and ended up in Snape's spare room, which Lupin normally slept in. 

His glasses fell down and landed on his lap and someone chuckled from the doorway. Remus was illuminated by the light from the hall, blocking it like a solar eclipse. Harry only knew it was Lupin because of the soft smell of lemon balm, chamomile tea and old jumpers.

"Merry Christmas, Harry!"

"Merry Christmas, Lupin," he replied. Sitting up on his elbows, he followed him into the living room, where Severus was at the stove, stirring a pot of porridge. Methodically, he spooned it into bowls, sprinkled nutmeg on his, sugar on Harrys and honey on Lupin's, wiping the rims before putting them in the correct places. He sat at the head of the table (it was strictly speaking his quarters, after all), Harry on his left and Lupin on his right, the pot of coffee placed in the middle. He was quietly humming Carol of the bells to himself, the only Christmas song he liked. Harry's presents had been placed under the tree, the metallic blue paper appearing to sparkle from the light from the fireplace.

"What did you get each other?"

"On the mantlepiece," Lupin answered, as Harry signed good morning to Snape, who nodded in reply. There were two plants, a peace lily and a praying hands plant, with both the pots wrapped in ribbons. They had been there for the whole week, but they'd now swapped places. Something about it made Harry smile.

There was a thin whistling noise, and Remus automatically tapped the side of his head. Snape grumbled and pulled out his hearing aid and tapped it with his wand, then the other one. "Sorry, I don't know why it keeps doing that."

"You've probably got some minor damage to the microphone or silicone tubes," Remus replied, spooning a mouthful of sweet porridge into his mouth. "Hand them over, Snarky."

He rolled his eyes but dropped them into Remus's outstretched hand. He was conscious that they were slightly waxy, but the werewolf didn't care. He was adept at fixing them by now, being a minor whiz at electronics. He'd already fixed Harry's watch and Snape's flashing alarm clock and dismantled them with ease. It was interesting to watch, the way that his normally passive face screwed up in concentration as he fiddled about, expertly turning over the tiny device with expertly delicate hands. 

Your presents are under the tree, he signed, turning to Harry. He still wasn't confident talking when he couldn't hear, but Harry had been teaching Lupin enough for them to get by. He watched with a small smile behind his coffee mug as Harry excitedly ripped the paper off. The first he knew was from Remus, as he'd seen him croqueting square after square of green, cream and brown flowers, eventually stitched into a huge blanket. Snape's present was a thick leather-bound book on advanced defensive magic which he'd seen him flicking through with interest the week before. He opened it and began to leaf through

"You're very welcome," Snape replied as he plugged himself in, shaking his head slightly then raising his eyebrows, impressed. Remus winked and blew him a kiss and Snape blushed and rolled his eyes.

"Do that again and you'll find moonwart in your porridge."

"Try that and I'll eat your hearing aid batteries," he replied smoothly, unwrapping Harry's present. His face lit up and he put his new slippers on immediately, walking around the room to make sure that they fit. Snape's present, a set of inks in little glass cauldrons, were lined up on the edge of his table, ready to be used.