Percy - Drowns - 7k words

They hadn't had a holiday in ages and even then they were only going to Dawlish, but still, it was a family holiday and everyone was excited. Well, except his mum- she was fussing about packing to the extent where Bill wasn't allowed to pack his own suitcase and even Dad's was repacked once he'd crammed everything into it under her watchful eye. His wasn't though. Mum had trusted him to pack properly, even if the twins had thrown his belongings out the window on more than one occasion. 

Still, Percy thought, looking at the pile of neatly folded shirts on the bed, his underwear and socks already tucked in behind his books, it was nice he'd been given the opportunity to try. It wasn't often he stood out in the family, what with his two older brothers being the geniuses they were and Fred and George's shenanigans taking up all of his mother's time. He smiled, lovingly putting his prefect badge in the box by his bed. Although he loved wearing it around the house, he wouldn't bear it if he left it in Dawlish, or it got dropped in the sea, never to be seen again. Mum and Dad had promised they weren't to use magic, except in emergencies and he doubted this would be seen as one.

"Perfect Percy! Come on, it's dinner, stop polishing your badge and come down and eat!"

He rolled his eyes. He liked to tell himself they only belittled him because they were jealous, though he doubted his two younger twin brothers really were.

Climbing down the stairs, he took his place at the edge of the table, sat next to Ron and his father, who grinned at him when he sat down. If it was even possible, Dad was even more excited about this trip to the seaside than Ginny, who had been tiny when she last went on holiday. 

"Oi" grunted Ron, elbowing Percy in the ribs, which hurt. "Pass the salt."

"What's the magic word?" he huffed in reply- Ron had very pointy elbows.

"Avada-" George started and even though his wand was upstairs, Molly still jumped to attention and smacked his hand. The other children laughed, except Percy, who glowered. They'd never dare say that to Ginny, or even Ron for that matter, who was notoriously short-tempered and would likely receive a thump in return. Why was it always him being made fun of?

"George, if you dare utter another word, we'll leave you behind and take Fred instead."

"Why would you do that?" shouted Fred across the table (he and George weren't trusted to sit together anymore). "I didn't even do anything!"

Molly rolled her eyes, the others still laughing. Moodily, Percy speared another potato and handed Ron the salt with a thump, earning an oooooh! from Ginny. Bill looked at him sympathetically, though he didn't see it. He'd changed his mind- he wasn't looking forward to being with his family for a whole week at all.

(~~~)

It ended up with his parents in the main room, Bill and Charlie sharing a double bed in another, the twins holed up together in a tiny room at the back of their accommodation and Percy and Ron in an outside shed in the garden, so that Ginny could have the living room (in the warm) to herself. She offered to swap it, but Molly stepped in saying it really wasn't a good idea for her to stay on her own outside and she was too old to share now. Percy scowled at this, particularly when he realised they were in sleeping bags on the floor while Ginny got a sofa.

"At least Bill put a heating charm in here" muttered Ron, sitting up on his elbows and looking round in the dark. "And Charlie evicted all the spiders."

"He could have transfigured the floor while he was here" moaned Percy. Despite Bill's charms, he was still cold, as he refused to wear his jumper to bed, instead shivering in his old flannel pyjamas. "I feel like I'm sleeping on a rock."