Everyone (just about) - Graduation - 8k words

Hello! Sorry that the top photo isn't a nice HP-themed gif, I'm a narcissist. Shoutout to little old me and my Sociology degree, what a legend. Anyway, this is not the end of the story! More chapters are in production, I promise! I just figured that these poor sods have been strung out for years now and it's time for us to move on and focus on the younger years, staff and characters outside of Hogwarts. Also please ignore the car crash of a floating timeline, no, I will not make any effort to rectify it xxx

(~~~)

"Honestly, Severus, it's Harry's graduation, why are you wearing your teaching robes?"

Somewhat confused, Snape looked down at his outfit. "What do you mean? They are my dress robes. Look, my normal robes don't have buttons on the sleeves."

"But they're still black!"

"What did you want me to wear? Purple? Maybe next year I should ask Xenophillius Lovegood for advice and come dressed as a shrivelfig."

Remus pinched the bridge of his nose, his cufflinks flashing a small spot of reflected light for a second before he moved again. "Forget I said anything. Where's Harry, we ought to be heading off soon."

"He's helping Hagrid and the extended Weasley family set up the marque," he explained. "Apparently it's a Hogwarts tradition for them to prepare the grounds for graduation. Every year, Molly tells me that she remembers doing this with her grandmother, and now she's doing it with her grandson, though how she thinks a two-month-old will be any help, I have no idea. Maybe it's so we have enough time to prepare for the next generation to join us, or simply because there are so many of them. I glanced out the window earlier and thought Hagrid had moved the pumpkin patch."

Remus snorted. "Careful, one of them is your son's godson now."

"Don't I know it. At least the poor boy is half Granger. I never thought I'd say that, he better not pick up her talent for asking a hundred and one questions every time I write a word on the board."

"I hope he does. But you don't have to see Thomas Granger-Weasley again for another decade, so don't worry your pretty little head about it."

Snape muttered something, likely to himself, so Remus pretended he hadn't heard. Glancing out the window, he noticed Harry amongst the sea of redheads, pointing his wand at one of the trees until the leaves turned golden. He had to admit, even he would have struggled with that. Transfigurations had never been his strong suit.

"Right, are you sure you're going completely back?"

Snape gave him a despairing look, then pointed his wand at the hem of his sleeve. It flashed for a second, then turned a deep navy. He repeated the gesture on his other wrist, then held them under Remus's nose for him to see. "There, happy now?"

"What a transformation, are you sure you can handle it?" Remus remarked sarcastically. In response, Snape flicked his wand in the direction of his sand-coloured hair and turned a chunk of it bright blue. Remus felt the change and glanced at his reflection, but to Snape's surprise, he smirked and ran his hand through his fringe. "Cheers really brings out my eyes. Were you thinking of doing a similar thing to yours?"

"What, his and his matching hair cuts? I think I'll pass," Snape huffed, clearly annoyed that his revenge had backfired. "I still haven't forgotten Minervra for dying my hair pink in France."

(~~~)

The year group stood around in circles, steadily sipping flutes of champagne and feeling a lot more posh than they actually were. Although they were chatting amongst themselves amicably, it was no secret that they were all secretly shitting themselves over the event. None of them had been to a graduation before except Ron, but he had no idea what it would be like to go up on the stage. Even the most confident amongst them like Seamus, Pansy and Daphne were nibbling their lips and fingernails at the thought of potentially tripping over in front of an audience. For people like Hermione and Neville, they were near tears.