my fears

It was early in the morning and Madhuri was up.

" Salim, get up . You need to go ."
" Salim! Come on, today you have to be present in the royal court as the king for the very first time. "
Salim changed his side.
" Salim! Look I have prepared everything for you. "
" You will be late!" She raised her voice to make him hear her .
" Late for what?" He mumbled in his sleep .
" For the court, you have to be there."
" What court?"
" Salim wake up!" She patted his face.
" You go!"
" What a childish behaviour Salim. Get up fast."
" I am tired madhu "
" What nonsense "
" Hey! I am tired because of you "
" Because of me?!"
" Yes, I stayed up late for you. I was busy doing some very bad yet great things to you right " He was laughing while he was half asleep.
" Salim what are you saying, stop!"
" My madhu , you are so shy , be bold like me "
" Salim stop babbling, guards are standing outside they might hear. Get up please "
He held her hand and tried to pull her on the bed
" Let's do it again "
" Salim get up or I will throw this water in you "
" Madhu, you are such a mood spoiler."
" 1 "
" 2 "
" You wouldn't dare "
" I will Salim "
" And "
Before she could say three he got up and sat down .
" I hate you " Salim said.
She held his chin and kissed his cheek.
" I love you "

He was getting ready with his royal attire . Madhuri was helping him .
" Hey your crown"
" Wear me it"
" Me?"
" Yes you"
He went on one knee with his head down.
" Salim!"
" What? Wear me it !"
" Yes I am honoured!"
She put his crown on him and he stood up again.

" It will take time for me to come back today , till then please take care of yourself."
" I will "
" What happened Madhu? Do you want to say something?"
" I -"
" Tell me what is it?"
" Nothing it's fine , you go , don't be late."
" Madhu! "
" Actually I wanted to ask you if I can go to the dance practice place, I mean I won't dance but I just want to see them . I - they wanted me to take their practice but -"
" Why do you need my permission for that ? You go and do whatever you want."
" But I won't go "
" Why?"
" I shouldn't go right? I mean now I am a queen and I should stay here with you "
" Who said that ? It's nothing like that. You go "
" But -"
" There is no but, you go and first of all you don't need to have my permission and the second, be careful you are not alone now . Take care of yourself."
" Are you sure? "
" Yes madhu "
" Okay "
" See you soon "
" See you soon "
Salim left for the court and just after him she went for the practice.

It was evening and Salim wasn't back from the court. She went to check up on him but the guards said he was in his father 's room discussing about something and it my take time. She went back in their room waiting for him .
After a lot of time, Salim was finally there.

" Hey you are back , I was waiting for you"
" Yes"
Salim was removing his cape and wraps while she was talking to him .
" You know, I had so much fun today. There were so many little girls who wanted to learn and teaching them was so fun"
" Hmm" he nodded
" Their little hands and little feet, looking at them moving was so cute"
He nodded once again.
" Salim? What's wrong?"
" Nothing "
" It doesn't sound like that. You are replying in one word. What happened?"
" Nothing madhu" He said in a bold voice as he was controlling his anger.
" Salim?" He touched his shoulder in reassurance .
" It's everything okay! Everything and everyone!" He started talking in loud voice.
" Everyone is just sitting on my head. I mentioned yesterday to king Jashan that I will maintain good relations with him and yet he is there removing his support from us. He took some of his men back , he reduced our area which we used to share , that's why there has been a problem with the people there."
Madhuri held his arm .
"My father is once again blaming me for everything. This all happened because of me . I know it but why? We can solve it . I discussed the strategy with my father. He said it's not going to work but still I will try but he and then everyone needs him back and I told them that we don't need him back !"
" Salim calm down!"
" No Madhuri, no one is trying to listen to me . Then if I do something on my own then they will again blame me. I have so many responsibilities all of a sudden and my father is not helping me at all ."
" Salim " she said in a comforting voice.
" No madhu! It's so frustrating!"
" It's okay, breathe Salim "
" No no God No!" He yelled loudly and went to the other side, took the vase which was on the table and smashed it on the ground.
Madhuri went behind in fear covering her ears.
" Salim!"
There was water in her eyes looking at the scattered pieces of the broken vase.
" I am sorry "
" I am so sorry!"
She went to pick it up when the guards rushed in hearing the loud noise.
" It's okay Madhu, they will pick it up , you rest "
Madhuri looked at Salim and went out of the room . She looked angry and distributed.
" Madhu? Where are you going now?"

Madhu?"
She didn't stop . She went up to the terrace and sat on the swing. Salim followed her.
" Madhu?"
He sat besides her .
" Madhu? Please, I am so sorry, I didn't mean to , it happened, I wasn't in my senses , I am so sorry!"Salim requested her
" You doing that , it reminded me of -"
" Reminded you of?"
" Hamzal. He used to do that everytime he was angry. Sometimes he used to throw and break things at me. Sorry to mention him but -"
" No no please continue "
" I used be so afraid of him because of that. I never did anything he asked me not to . I got scared again . I know you didn't mean to but it reminded me of that. I know he is dead, but I am still terrified of him."
" Madhuri " he sat down near her feet .
" I am so so sorry madhu! I really, I swear I was so frustrated I couldn't hold it anymore. I didn't mean to hurt you at all. I am so sorry please forgive me . I am so guilty "
" Salim stand up what are you doing?!"
She tried to make him stand again , but he was not leaving her feet
" I am sorry "
" It's okay Salim please get up "
" It's not okay !I know that. Madhu I promise you , I would never do that again. Ever . If I ever hurt you in any way, you cut off my both hands. "
" Salim what are you saying?!"
" Promise me you would do as I mentioned, please or else I won't get up."
" I promise, I promise "
" This is my word . You do that if I do anything wrong again towards you and I will not bring any palace work things in our room After today ."
" Salim please, get up"
He got up and looked in her eyes .
Salim was trying to keep his tears in but couldn't help it stop.
" I am sorry " he whispered
" It's fine Salim " She wiped his tears.

Then he picked her up .
" Hey!"
She wrapped her arms around his neck.
" Lets go to our room , my queen."
They went towards their room with Madhuri in Salim's arms smiling once again.
Salim kissed her forehead.
" I love you Madhu , more than anything"
" I love you too Salim"