CHAPTER III - Approaching slowly, step by step

Out of the library

"So you're dating Gao Shi De?" In the university hall, Jiang Yu Xin squatted down in front of Zhou Shu Yi and asked him that question while looking at his face.

"How could I be with him? Don't be silly." Zhou Shu Yi was not intimidated by Jiang Yu Xin's gaze, he stood up and looked at her helplessly.

Jiang Yu Xin clenched his fists to make a joyful and encouraging gesture towards the boy who had never been in love.

"Don't deny it just because you don't have the courage to accept it. If you really like him, you have to be brave and woo him. No matter who it is, Fan Zheng Wen and I will support you."

"Yu Xin..." Unlike the girl, Fang Zheng Wen could understand what the situation was, so he shook her hand to make her change the subject.

Zhou Shu Yi stood silently biting his lip, as if trying to stop himself from venting his feelings any minute and shed tears by impulsively confessing to his friend who he really had a crush on.

I like! Jiang Yu Xin! I've always liked you!

Some distance away, Gao Shi De stood beside a pillar, watching as the boy nearly lost control, feeling unable to remain just a silent spectator. So he interrupted the threes' conversation and covered Zhou Shu Yi's eyes with his left hand, preventing others from seeing his tears.

"We have things to do, let's go." After saying this, he grabbed Zhou Shu Yi's arm, took the backpack hanging from his shoulder, ignored the confused eyes of those present, and walked towards the exit.

****************

In the sports club room

On the induction cooker, a pot was boiling with noodles inside. All this was accompanied by the smell of chilli and Chinese pepper. Zhou Shu Yi looked at the person putting pieces of pork into the pot and asked, "How do you know what I like to eat?"

Gao Shi De took a spoon and put just a little duck blood* into the other boy's disposable bowl. "Since elementary school, I know all about you; even what I shouldn't know."

[*N/T: Looks like it's actually heavily cooked duck meat, not quite blood literally.]

The tongue-twisting response surprised the listener, he had always thought that Gao Shi De saw him as an opponent, just like he did.

"Just... thank you." Said Zhou Shu Yi as he put the glass of Coke on the table smiling bitterly. "Hahaha, you know if you hadn't taken me out of that place, I think I would have said things that I would later regret. She's always been like that, impulsive, a little silly. She has neurons thicker than a submarine cable. Him and her, being together... it's perfect."

Gao Shi De did not answer, but silently listened to the person he had been in love with for many years talk about someone else as he silently put the food on his plate. After talking to himself for a long time, Zhou Shu Yi finally lost his breath feeling that the atmosphere had become awkward. He straightened up in his chair, took his chopsticks and watched the pot boil: "Are the prawns ready?"

"Here you are." Gao Shi De took a shrimp, peeled off the shell, and then put it on the other boy's plate. He looked into his eyes and asked, "Could it be that you don't care so much about Jiang Yu Xin?"

Remaining silent, the person who liked to eat shrimp without getting his hands dirty used his chopsticks to grab the shrimp and put it in his mouth. Gao Shi De looked at Zhou Shu Yi's expression, got up from the table and went to the sink so that she could wash both the grease and fishy smell off his hands, grabbed some paper towels and dried them.