Burning Tensions (pre-view)!

"It's a clear sign you're trying to make up an excuse on what to say next

"It's a clear sign you're trying to make up an excuse on what to say next. And while many don't actually do that, it's very noticeable with how many times you've done it since I met you," Firey gulped at that statement, feeling sweat drip from his forehead. Even if she was a few years younger than the rest,  Golfball was surprisingly intelligent and observant she was for her age; Firey should've guessed that once he learned she was taking ninth-grade-school-level assignments even if she was only in the fourth grade. Apparently, it was "getting too boring" for her. 

"Besides what G.B. is saying," Needle sat up and walked over to Firey. "You have been acting awkward whenever we bring the Pre-K kids up; did they do something to you? I know they can be kind of annoying; I have enough baby cousins to get a gist of what they're like."

"N-No!-" Firey quickly exclaimed but cut himself off once he noticed Golfball staring into his soul with a suspicious expression. "I-I mean, no. No, they haven't been bothering me. I made sure they hadn't gone near the creek all week." Firey then proudly restated, crossing his arms with a smirk.

"You sure?" Flower asked, reapplying her lipgloss. "It's hard to keep an entire creek under control after all; I would know, last week was tough for me and Free-Smart girls."

"I thought you guys just kept taking photos while a few of them kept sneaking over to swim in the creek," Leafy replied, a hand on her hip. 

"Do you have any idea how dull and aggravating it is to sit out here for two hours with all these stupid bugs flying in my face?! And don't even get me started on my mascara-" While Flower and Leafy began to argue over nonimportant matters of patrolling the creek, Firey managed to sneak away to check up on his young friend and his friends. 

The five, O.J., Paper, Pickle, Taco, and Bomb, were playing near the lower parts of the creek; a point where the BFB/BFDI kids don't check up on often during their shifts. Taco and Pickle were jumping into the water, Bomb was picking some flowers, and O.J. and Paper were playing with bugs they found underneath big rocks. 

As O.J. was poking a rollie pollie, he noticed a glow not so far from where he stood. Looking up, he gasped in excitement. "Firey!"

Dropping the bug, he ran over to the older boy and nearly tackled him to the ground as he gave him a running hug. Firey laughed at his younger friend's reaction, maintaining his balance and hugging him back. 

The other four noticed him and, just like O.J., ran over happily. Over the abundance of questions and curious comments they had, O.J. had one question that interested Firey.

"What took you so long?" O.J asked. 

"Yeah, you took forever!" Pickle added. 

"Were you bit by a swarm of bugs?" Taco asked. "They're buggy bugs!"

"Ah, don't worry about it," Firey shrugged it off with a confident smile. "I just had to deal with something, that's all. You guys don't have to worry about it. But, I agree with you there, Taco; those mosquitoes can be buggy. Now, does anyone need more bug spray?"

While Firey attended with helping apply more bug spray onto the five, in the distance a face was hidden, peaking from behind an oak tree. With a displeased expression, she walked away with her hands in her pockets. The tracks from her rainboots were imprinted in the ground, growing farther and farther away. 

"Golfball was right about one thing; you aren't a good liar." Teardrop thought to herself. 

- - - - - - - - - - ------ - - - - - -

A little preview for the next chapter, Burning Tension. This one will be a one-shot about the friendship between Firey and O.J. and includes some of the other little kids from the preschool. A conflict about a creek, tensions between the elementary and preschoolers? What could go wrong? What can go right? Find out soon!

Bye-bye, my little jelly beans!

~Inky!