Chapter 3

He'd forgotten his boots... and he hadn't given back the bracelet! 

Ilio sighed as he stood up, biting back the need to shake off the droplets of water clinging to his skin since his body was still human. 

With careful movements, he climbed out of the fountain and scooped up the tall shoes. 

Hmm, they smell like fresh leather. 

They must be new, or close to it. 

Grinning, he nuzzled against the smooth leather, then calmly began walking off toward the edge of Vrasje's property. 

He understood the man's warning, and he did appreciate it, but he also felt an unexplicable need to return Inkani's shoes to him... and retrieve the bracelet that he'd taken. 

Surely he would accept a fair trade. 

Oh wait... I'm naked. 

Turning back around with a frown, he was just about to return to the house for some clothing when he noticed a small bundle of something sitting where Vrasje had been standing. 

Curious, he hurried over and was relieved to see that the man had left him clothing. 

After quickly changing into a pair of black pants and a dark red shirt, he picked the boots back up and turned back around to leave. The walk back to the docks was done in a bit of a haze. He simply followed his nose as it guided him step by step through the quiet streets. 

He was a bit surprised, however, when he didn't end up back at the docks. 

Instead, his bare feet took him to a much more active part of town. 

I didn't know some humans preferred darkness. 

The sheer amount of activity made him hug the tall boots closer. He didn't really want to walk forward, but his nose told him that Inkani was somewhere within the bustling area before him. 

Just make the trade and get lord Vrasje's bracelet back, then leave. 

Hunching his shoulders, Ilio nervously stepped into the growing throng of people. He could feel eyes on him immediately, and within moments, whispers began to meet his ears. It hadn't been smart to come out at night as a werewolf in a human town protected by vampires. 

The crowds around him slowly started closing in, but he refused to stop moving until, finally, he was standing in front of a massive, bustling inn.

At least, that's what it looked like from the outside. 

It smelled a bit... odd, though. Like a bunch of different flowers mixed together trying to cover up the underlying smell of sweat. 

He didn't like it, but Inkani's scent was definitely coming from inside. 

Licking his lips, he lowered his head and hugged the boots as he lifted his foot up onto the first step. Right before he could shift his weight forward, however, he was grabbed by the back of his collar and yanked backwards, making him fumble and nearly drop the boots before colliding with a damp chest. 

Smells bad. 

Ilio tried to force his way free, but whoever had grabbed him had a solid grip and refused to let go. 

"I don't think I've ever seen a werewolf have the balls to walk right into our town without lord Vrasje's protection," the vampire said as Ilio glared at him over his shoulder. 

I had his protection but Inkani stole it. 

He needed to get that bracelet back. 

"Hang on a minute, Morry," another man said as he stepped forward and put a hand on the man's shoulder.