Chapter 24

Snorting out a nose-full of dirt, Ilio panted up at Inkani as he sat at a worn down table in a tiny tavern high upon the hills of the town. A few cannonballs had attempted to hit the building, but with Inkani's water spell deflecting the few that came close, combined with the sheer distance they were from the shore, there was really no chance of anything happening. 

There was also still a large amount of pirates milling about, since they couldn't flee to the border or their sunken ships. It was a stalemate, but it wouldn't last for long. 

Gnawing a floorboard that he'd previously ripped up in frustration to dig his comfy hole in the dirt beneath it, Ilio thought to Inkani. 

We need a ship. 

It wasn't just an idea, but a factual statement. As things were right then, if they didn't get a ship, it was only a matter of time before they were overrun and killed. 

"Those men that were attacking you, captain?" 

Inkani smirked as he nonchalantly reached over and removed the broken plank of wood from Ilio's mouth, making him wiggle his wet nose until the item was promptly replaced with a big chunk of steak. 

Ilio immediately ducked his head beneath his little fortress under the damaged floor and began chomping away, using the remaining floorboards to hide his prize, not even caring that the meat was now completely caked in dust and dirt. 

"We need to decide what ship we're going to try and commandeer," Inkani said, voicing Ilio's thoughts to his remaining crew. 

Thankfully, most of his men had managed farely well against the invaders, giving them a better chance of escaping when the time finally came to act. 

Moral's ship would be our best option, Ilio said, drawing Inkani's gaze down to him. 

The men you had killed at the marsh were likely all his. That reduces his total number of available defenders. 

Of course, other crews might have lost some men in the attack the other day, but it was unlikely that the numbers evened out. Moral's troops had been the ones to try and ambush them. 

 "My wolf has a suggestion that makes a good bit of sense," he said as his crew continued to discuss what ship they could possibly target. 

The room quieted quickly, wanting to hear his suggestion. 

"We'll target captain Moral's vessel," he said calmly but firmly, drawing audible gasps from nearly half of the men gathered. 

An uproar of rambling soon took over the tavern, but it quickly died down as his crew realized that the suggestion really was likely their best bet. 

Moral would come after them more than anyone else, and especially after losing some of his men recently. 

"I agree, captain," one of his men said as he pounded a fist against the old worn tabletop, making their glasses of nearly-empty blood jump from the hit. 

His words were soon followed by a shout of agreement, then another, and another. 

"Moral won't expect us to try and steal his ship... because it will be nearly impossible," Bin said honestly. 

Inkani nodded as Ilio popped his dirty head up from beneath the damaged floorboards to continue listening. 

"Indeed it will be, but I believe I've got a pretty good idea," Inkani replied as he smiled at his heir and second-in-command. 

He truly does treasure you. 

Ilio flicked an ear, determined to make sure that he kept an eye on the sickly vampire as much as possible, as well.