Chapter 8: Imminence

Hà Nội, Socialist Republic of Việt Nam
Parpaldian Embassy, former Russian Embassy
Central Calendar 1637, July 1st

Remille sighed as she looked at the numerous reports on her desk. It was part of her daily routine as Ludius personally ordered her to go to the unknown country and see if this country was either weaker or stronger than the Parpaldian Empire. However, her letters weren’t getting through and she was growing increasingly frustrated at the lack of progress due to both the Parpaldian emperor and the dissent from the majority of the Estates-General, with most of the representatives outright ignoring her concerns about potentially starting a war with Vietnam.

She shook her head as she continued writing on the report she had on her desk. Her eyes were getting blurry due to how much she had to do within two days. A combination of a lack of sleep and lack of nutrition caused her to work slower than usual. 

“Such impossible demands…argh that Ludius, once I return I shall give him a stern talk. This is too much for me to carry,” she said to herself. 

Technically she was in charge of the Foreign Affairs Department of the Parpaldia Empire. This, however, made her feel like she was a lowly clerk instead of a respectable head. Even her past endeavors in the other countries in the First and Second Civilization areas did not give her a headache as much as the one she was having right now. Moreover, even with a couple of hundreds of employees working at the newly established embassy, it was still not enough as only Remille possessed the willingness to learn about Vietnam. The other employees were a mix bag: some had the same passion and tried to help as much as they could. Others were the same rotten people from the war faction in the Estates General. Utterly detestable, spoilt, obnoxious snobs, which was ironic as she considered herself a spoiled person herself.

Remille was interrupted by a loud knock on her door.

“Come in,” she said

A man in what looked to be his late 20s opened the door.

“Your Highness, I have received a report about a border skirmish between the Qua Toyians and the-”

He was cut off.

“I know. I saw it on this country’s local news.” Her stern voice could be heard.

“We must be faster. Our news takes more than two days to reach the populace while this country takes at most an hour, if not a few mere minutes. If the emperor does declare war, it will be an utter disaster for our empire. We cannot simply hope to be better as we are outdated by  centuries.” She continued. 

“If we ever hope to even catch up to the other superpowers, let alone this country, we must not wage war and modernize our forces in such a reasonable way. Relay that back to the Estates General and Emperor Ludius. I do not wish to see my sayings go unnoticed. However, I doubt they will listen as they still foolishly believe in the arrogance of what our empire has achieved…they may call me a pessimist for such ‘beliefs’.”

“I understand, Your Highness. I shall relay this information to the Emperor and the Estates General.” He curtsied to her before closing the door to her quite big office. 

As the door closed, Remille continued sighing at her not so fortunate situation. 

Que Toyne City, Que-Toyian Principality
Que Toyian General Command

“Comrade General, we cannot let this situation slide. The Lourians are being provocative and we must take action lest we be seen as cowards!” An officer of the Que-Toyian army argued. A collection of high ranking officers from the Que-Toyian military had gathered to discuss multiple issues, including the border skirmish that the Lourians launched.