An Inconvenient Arrangement: Extended Blurb

Raphael St. Alexander, the Viscount of Carlisle, has been many things; a drunkard, a reprobate, a soldier, a spy, and if the need ever presented itself, an assassin. Now, with the war on the Continent over, his work is to ferret out the men who had turned sides against England and bring them to justice.

A mission gone sideways has his superiors removing him from the field and thrusting a different sort of assignment on his shoulders; the guardianship to his goddaughter.

The last thing Rafe needs is to be saddled with a ward. What is a man like him supposed to do with a child? Worse still, what is a man like him supposed to do when the child's overbearing, infuriating aunt shows up at his doorstep, refusing to entrust her niece to his care?

Rafe has only one goal: solve the mystery behind his failed mission and prove to his superiors that he is still a capable agent. He cannot afford to be distracted nor tempted by one prickly, disapproving, bespectacled bluestocking and by her adorably sweet kisses.

It is a good thing indeed, that Rafe was not weak enough to succumb to the one woman who had always seen through his façade. And if the three of them started feeling more and more like a family as time went on, it was a good thing that Rafe never had much trouble with severing bonds.

If there is one thing that Miss Sylvia Heartwood will not allow, it is the relinquishing of her niece to the clutches of a useless reprobate like Lord Carlisle. The shameless ravisher of women- the thief of her first kiss! Putting her career as a tutor at one of Enland's most respected women's boarding schools on hold, she forces her way into his household, determined to make him see that she would be the better guardian to her niece. Now older, she knows better than to get in bed with the devil or let him tempt her.

But somewhere under the bluster she begins to catch glimpses of the boy who picked seashells for her and held her hand during thunderstorms, and all of a sudden, Sylvie's heart is in danger of being lost in the balance.

Special thanks to Sylvia-Norcroft for this AI image she made for me. Behold! Sexy bastard Carlisle in all his glory.