चित्रांगद च विचित्रवीर्यः - Chitrangad and Vichitraveerya

Shantanu, pleased with his Son's sacrifice gave a boon to him thus
"*O dear son, I Shantanu, hereby bless my dear son Devavrata with the blessing, that Death shall not touch you without your command. You shall die, only when you want to*"
The fishermen chief, happy with Bhishma's vow, happily allowed his daughter to marry Shantanu.
Satyavati, happy with Bhishma's sacrifice, said "O dear. You have done what even a son cannot do for their mother and father. You have set the highest example of devotion to parents. You shall stay in my heart as my first son."
They then left the Fishermen Chief's house and got into the chariot Shantanu had brought with him.
......
A grand wedding was held for Shantanu and Satyavati. Bhishma's joy knew no bounds, seeing his father smile after so many days. His heart filled with satisfaction, he helps and reveres Satyavati in all manners, as verily his mother.

Soon the royal couple give birth to two children, Chitrangada, the elder one, and Vichitraveerya, the much younger one. Bhishma merrily receives his new brothers. As the three brothers grow, Chitrangada and Vichitraveerya were well taught under Bhishma's supervision.
Shantanu, grew older, and as he continued his life peacefully, seeing his three sons grow, and spending his time with the companionship of his dear and beloved wife (so much for this peace), Shantanu died and ascended to heaven.
Upon his death, fulfilling his promise, Bhishma installed Chitrangada to throne. Chitrangada subdued all his enemies and became the sovereign emperor of the world. He gained the fame of being powerful enough to subdue even Asuras (Danavas) as well as Suras (Devtas) . His fame reached so far, upto Gandharva loka, the celestial realm of Gandharvas (a clan of deities, but rather stoic towards earthly matters). The king of Gandharva loka, coincidentally as such, was also named Chitrangada. (Chitrangada Gandharva was the Gandharva deity of musical arts, and yes, he is gonna come again in our story much later). When Gandharva Chitrangada heard of the Raja Chitrangada, he was rather piqued with curiosity to test whether an earthly being could match his prowess. So he challenged Raja Chitrangada for a battle.

They both arrived at Kurukshetra, and in that holy battlefield began a fierce battle. Arrows clouded the skies, and maces hit and shook the earth. The battle was so terrible as the extremely powerful men fought against each other, that the Devtas and Rishis everywhere came to see the fight. The battle continued for three whole years.
And with a final stroke, the Gandharva Chitrangada slayed Raja Chitrangada. After slaying him, the Gandharva returned to his loka and continued to rule.

Since Chitrangada had no heirs, Bhishma established Vichitraveerya to throne. But Vichitraveerya was fairly too young, only a prince. So, for time being, under orders from Satyavati, Bhishma took care of all royal duties under Vichitraveerya's name. Vichitraveerya greatly revered and adored Bhishma, and in return, Bhishma took dear care of Vichitraveerya.
When Vichitraveerya attained the age of majority, he, with timely consultation from Bhishma and his ministers, ably ruled the Kuru kingdom.
As he grew manly though, something unexpected happened. Vichitraveerya turned out to be a very low wit person, and to add to that, he was a huge liquor addict. He drank day in and out, and he was never fit enough to sit and rule. Bhishma took full charge, but he couldn't intervene much, given his promise to not take the Royal position. Satyavati, deeply concerned didn't want the throne of Hastinapura to be place of such unfit one. She thought that the best way to get out of this situation was to replace Vichitraveerya.But since he had no brothers, only his son could replace him. Thus Satyavati began to look for good consort for him.
She talked with Bhishma in the regard, and Bhishma told her thus
"O Mata, it has come to my information, that the Raja of Kashi (currently Varanasi or Benaras) has announced a Swayamvara* for his three daughters. I believe, the three daughters of great virtue and majesty are excellent and perfect match to our dear Vichitraveerya, whose prowess and fame is unparalleled amongst the kings of Aryavarta(simply, the entire Indian subcontinent, though it means much different in depth)."

Upon hearing this and thinking well, Satyavati replied, "O Bhishma. Then, prepare for the marriage of the three daughters with Vichitraveerya.
..........

*Swayamvara= Literally, self-groom. Or, selection of Groom.
In the kingship, it was common to invite all the friendly kingdoms' kings or heirs, for a large ceremony, where on basis of either some criteria, or just the selection of the bride, the Bride chooses her Groom. It shows that atleast on a level of royality, women were allowed to choose their husbands. Rest, practical stuff aside, that they were expected to consider diplomatic relations and select wisely...theoretically women had that freedom... But, what we are going to see further in the story... Is... Disheartening... Keep reading to find out.