अंबा, अंबिका, अंबालिका - Ambi, Ambika, Ambalika

*Note: i had missed an important note about Chitrangada. I have added about it in the last chapter. Read the part in Bold, I'll have it marked for some time.*

The three daughters of the Kashi Naresh(king) were Amba, Ambika and Ambalika. Their Swayamvara was arranged as a majestic event. The weddings of royal daughters of Kashi had to be of such grandeur and prestige, and the daughters themselves competed Apsaras (celestial women) on beauty.

All the kings of Aryavarta had gathered to prove their prowess and power. They wished that these ladies may garland them, which will prove that themselves are the most likeables.
Before the Kashi Raja could announce the beginning of the Swayamvara, heavy footsteps echoed the royal hall. As everyone turned to look at who it was, they were shocked, angered, afraid of who it was.
Bhishma...
The man who vowed for celibacy, and the archer whom Indra and Asuras can't defeat, the one who parallels Brishaspati (the holy Guru of Devtas) and Shukracharya (thr holy Guru of Asuras) in knowledge, what has he to do in this wedding ceremony?
Is he here to bless the girls? Or is he here to marry them?

Bhishma, aware of all the penetrating eyes on him, walked firm and undeterred, towards the three princesses. Once he reached there, he took hold of the hands of one of the princess, turned towards the assembly and said
"I am here to take these princesses for Hastinapura's king Vichitraveerya. I see no reason why any woman would choose otherwise. If anyone here has a trouble with me taking them away, and if they have enough guts, may them stand before me and fight me"
Saying so, he began to walk the princesses back to his chariot. The three princesses, unable to defend themselves from such a strong, bold and feared person, afraid, complied with Bhishma's actions, but they all hoped someone could come and stop him.
And mainly, Amba wished so. Because he, who had conquered her heart long ago, Vichitraveerya could never compare to him. She dearly wished, He, could come and protect her.

Bhishma began to ride the chariot towards Hastinapura. The kings of Aryavarta were left astounded and offended, yet they couldn't dare challenge Bhishma. They all sat, their heads hung in shame and anger. But they could not challenge Bhishma to duel. The worlds knew that none could match his prowess. Yet they all wished to stop him and defeat him. One king, who knew it was his duty to protect Her from being taken away, got up, and rode his chariot to follow Bhishma. She and himself were deeply in love. Bhishma couldn't come in between that, and he wouldn't allow Bhishma to come like that.

"Stop, Bhishma. If you have the blood of a man, stop now, and face me. You cannot take them without defeating me" Heralded the brave king of Shoubhya, king Shalva. Shalva and Amba loved each other. Had the Swayamvara taken place, Amba would have garlanded Shalva. But Bhishma's unfortunate intervention ruined their peaceful story. But peaceful or not, Shalva wouldn't give up on Amba.

Bhishma's chariot came to a halt. Bhishma looked back, like a fierce lion, his judgmental aging eyes eyeing Shalva up and down. A gentle smile formed on his face. Shalva stood straight, grinding his teeth, with the bow in his hand, ready to fire arrows.

Bhishma said "Shalva. You are young. Novice to the art of duel. Dont do the foolish act of challenging me." Shalva's grip on the bow tightened "Age is never an indicator of power, son of Ganga. This is a matter of my pride, my love. I shall not let you take them away unless you win me"
And saying so Shalva shot arrows aimed at Bhishma. In a swift moment Bhishma picked up his bow and shot arrows, piercing and breaking Shalva's arrows mid air. Both began to shoot tens and tens of arrows and it soon became hundreds (arrows were enchanted to multiply after being shot...or it could be some technology we have lost) the skies over their heads were covered by each other's arrows. Bhishma, impressed by Shalva's power, still decided to end the little play, and he began shooting arrows at a greater speed. His arrows pierced both Shalva's arrows, and also struck his bow, and broke it. His arrows hit the flagpole of Shalva's chariot. His arrows also wounded Shalva. At this, Bhishma stopped. He smiled and said, "Go away prince of Shoubhya. You are not yet qualified to fight me. I will not kill you. I spare your life"
Greatly insulted and wounded, Shalva left. His anger consumed him, and he couldn't think of Amba anymore.

As Bhishma entered the royal palace, with the three princesses, Satyavati was overjoyed. She welcomed Bhishma, and gave a warm welcome to the three princesses. The princesses were comforted at the warmth of the queen. They all touched her feet, and stood shyly. Satyvati became glad and ordered for the wedding of the three princesses with Vichitraveerya.