Talking

After that incident, Dean was preoccupied with dealing with some issues involving other people in the community, and it gave me a chance to search for Amelia.

My heart raced as I looked around, desperately seeking her familiar face in the crowd. Finally, our eyes met, and without a moment's hesitation, she rushed towards me, pulling me into a tight embrace. I buried my face in the crook of her neck, seeking solace in her presence.

"Amelia," I whispered, my voice filled with relief. "It feels like ages since I've seen you."

Her grip tightened as she held me close, her voice filled with a mix of exhaustion and despair.

"Y/N, you have no idea what I've been through. This place... it's taken a toll on me."

I looked down at her disheveled appearance, noticing her torn clothes and disarrayed hair. It pained me to see her like this, knowing the horrors she must have faced.

"What happened to you?" I asked, my voice filled with concern.

Amelia took a deep breath, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and resignation. "It's a long story, but those brothers... they showed me a different side of this place. There are hidden houses, secrets that go beyond anything we could have imagined. I... I lost my mind, Y/N."

My heart sank as I processed her words. If even Amelia, who had always been cautious and level-headed, had succumbed to the allure of this place, what hope did I have? It seemed that the entire town was in on the deception, and our chances of escaping were rapidly dwindling.

"But strangely," Amelia continued, her voice tinged with uncertainty, "I don't want to leave."

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. After everything we had experienced,

how could she even consider staying?

"What do you mean?" I asked, my voice trembling with a mixture of confusion and sadness.

Amelia looked at me with a mixture of desperation and longing. "Y/N, you know how my family is. The toxicity, the suffocating expectations. They promised me something different, something better. They promised to never be like them. You know how much I need that, how much I've yearned for an escape from the chains of my own blood."

Her words struck a chord within me. I understood all too well the pain and burden she carried, the deep desire to break free from the shackles of a toxic family. It was a battle we had fought together for years.

But, I felt the exact same way.

It felt sick and twisted, but I did.

Amelia looked away, struggling to put her conflicted emotions into words. "I know, I know it sounds crazy. But they... they promised me something that I've never had before – a family that accepts me for who I am. They vowed never to be like my own family, who constantly judged and belittled me. It's like they offered me the love and acceptance that I've always craved."

Her vulnerability touched my heart, but at the same time, I couldn't help but feel a sense of desperation. "Amelia, you can't be serious. These people are manipulating us. They're playing mind games and using our weaknesses against us."

Amelia's eyes glistened with tears as she looked back at me. "I know, I know it's crazy, but after all the years of feeling like an outcast, being here made me feel like I belong somewhere. It's like I'm finally seen and understood, and it's intoxicating."

She looked into my eyes and realized I felt the same; we hugged each other like it was the last time, holding onto one another tightly, as if clinging to a lifeline.

The weight of our predicament hung heavily over us, but in that moment, it was as if we found solace in each other's embrace.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled into the crook of her neck. "I was so... desperate to not go home I got us into this. I'm sorry." I felt, for the first time in weeks, a sadness that came from the depths of my soul. Something that had been aching within my lungs suddenly found release in words.

Amelia gently stroked my hair, offering a comforting presence. "It's not your fault, Y/N. We both got into this mess together"

Her words brought a sense of reassurance, even though our situation remained dire. The two of us had unknowingly stumbled into this cult, and now we were entangled in its twisted web.

After a while, I opened my mouth to ask a daunting question, "I'm sorry, but two guys?"

Amelia's cheeks flushed slightly, and she chuckled softly. "Brothers, but the leader?"

Just like that, we were snatched back into our old ways, trying to lighten the mood with our usual banter amidst the darkness that surrounded us.

"Yeah, the leader dude showed me a whole wine hoard," I said with a hint of amusement, recalling the bizarre encounter. "It's like they have this whole underground operation."

"They showed me the barrels of liquor," Amelia said. "Speaking of which, did you know that they are the main people sending out alcohol to this state? It's crazy how they're involved in all of this."

"That would explain a lot, I'm not gonna lie. Did you get suckered into that game while drunk?"

"Oh no, but then again, you were the lightweight. What game did you play?"

"Hide and seek," I admitted with a sheepish grin. "Long story short, I lost, and now I'm his girlfriend for 2 days. Now, what's up with your whole brother situation?"

Amelia's expression turned into a mix of amusement and disbelief. "Blackout drunk, and I think they went through my phone, because the next thing I know, all I'm hearing is blah blah I would never treat you that way, and being sandwiched between them shirtless."

We both burst into laughter at the absurdity of it all, finding a momentary escape from the haunting reality that surrounded us. 

Despite the dire circumstances, Amelia's company brought a sense of comfort and understanding, reminding me that we were in this together.

We looked at each other for a moment, and a strange mixture of amusement and irony washed over us. 

"It's funny," I said between giggles, "we ran away from our families to get away and ended up in this mess."

Amelia couldn't contain her laughter either. "The fact that we couldn't stand our families and ran into a mansion in the woods, of all places."

I laughed so hard that it felt like I caught a cramp in my stomach. "They really picked the right ones, didn't they?"

Our laughter echoed through the room, a brief respite from the tension and fear that had engulfed us since our arrival.