Mask

We locked eyes for a moment, a silent exchange of conflicting perspectives.

"You don't know anything about her or him or even why we are trying to put them back together," he countered.

"But I do know the people here are insane," I spat at him, frustration boiling over.

He pulled me into a hug, his silence speaking volumes. I pulled away, seeking solace in sleep.

 The next day unfolded similarly – the routine of the girls gathering, and Dean departing.

"No, I'm telling you, it's weird. There's far more to this story than anyone is saying," I voiced my concerns.

Tammy's bewildered look mirrored my unease. "Same thing happened to me. I told my wife something was off with this whole thing, and she immediately shut it down."

"Why do you think that is? I mean, let's say the rumors are true. You have a scared girl and a creepy man with her parents safely dangling overhead. To run away is a huge risk."

"Now that you say it, I mean, we all know how good they are at manipulating. Obviously, they take the ones with the worst home life or something to hide and use it as leverage, but from my knowledge, they never actually do it," Tammy added, her words resonating with a shared sense of suspicion.

Sandy chimed in, "Yeah, my mom said my dad came here with two guys. She found out he was stealing money from him and blackmailed him, but she never told me what happened to the two guys."

"What if... what if they do stick to their word but just do it in a strange way? I mean, when's the last time anyone here actually broke a promise? But when it comes time to do it, it's like they know you won't do anything, like they know you're too scared to fight back," Tammy speculated.

"I do have a theory. Dean almost seems like he has two personalities, and he has admitted to having mental issues. What if the guy was worse off than he seemed? Dean said there was an old church, and his dad was insane... what if everyone there was crazy?"

Jasmine admitted, "I mean, birds of a feather flock together. My boyfriend was completely normal before we came, and then all of a sudden, it was a switch."

"My wife is a sweetheart, but one time her sister came over, and all hell broke loose. She seemed like a whole other person," Tammy shared.

"So if the people here are nice but are quick to anger, does that mean the guy probably slipped up around her and scared her?"

"That sounds plausible. Have you ever seen one of them mad before? My boyfriend did once. I was new here for a job, and the guy I was working with kept flirting with me. Deven waited until I was gone and beat the guy. I walked back in because I forgot my phone, and he looked... scared me so bad I couldn't look at him for two weeks. I swear to God he was never like that before," Tammy recounted.

"I haven't seen Dean mad before, but I don't doubt it would be terrifying. Perhaps the act of violence isn't something that just randomly happens but is rooted in attempts to manage or control the mental instability that runs through their blood."

"So basically, they think it's all normal—the violence, everything?"

We continued our discussion until Dean suddenly returned, and everyone left.

"You're back early," I remarked, standing up and making my way to the bedroom.

"Good news, she's found and safe," Dean announced in a monotone voice. His disheveled appearance hinted at a tumultuous situation, with his clothes slightly ruffled and his lips pressed into a thin line. Dark circles under his eyes betrayed the strain of recent events.

"You... you don't sound happy about that," I observed, noting the absence of relief or joy in his demeanor. 

The tension in the room grew as the weight of his subdued emotions hung in the air.

"No, it's just..." he began, pulling me into a hug before initiating a series of kisses. "Why... why did you pull away from me yesterday?"

"I was just upset, that's all," I explained.

"Hmm... don't ever pull away from me again," he whispered in my ear. "I love you so much..."

I looked up at him, and he continued with a promise, 

"I will have you shaking and crying in a way that'll leave you breathless from just thinking about it. Don't give me a reason." He finished his statement with a deeper kiss, and I felt myself softly pushed into the couch as he started kissing my neck.

"Dean..." I groaned, caught in the intensity of the moment.

"Do you want that? Do you want to tied to my bed for hours on end" he said in a low voice"I lied... if you ever left me you wouldn't even be walking"

His grip on me tightened. "Why do you care so much about that girl anyway? Do you see yourself in her?"

"Not really... it's just really weird," I replied cautiously.

"Do you miss your old life... back at the college?"

"To be honest, I haven't really thought about it... Why did we really leave the house? I feel like you're not being honest," I pressed, sensing an underlying tension in the air.

"Those boys..." Dean began, and frustration welled up within me.

"Them again? I was trying to tell them to run."

"But they weren't listening, huh, sweetheart?"

"So you want me to be here, all alone with you?"

"I gave you friends to keep you company."

"Like a dog?"

"No..." The tension in the room thickened as his response lingered, leaving unspoken sentiments hanging in the air.

_________

(A/N)

well this chapter certainly took a turn

Also are yall more invested in the lore or Dean?