19) Dark

a/n: Should I publish The Third Reader on AO3? Lmk. Also...I thought I'd mention that just like the first book, you guys won't expect or want the ending I'm planning. I finally decided what's going to happen and I low-key feel evil ngl. Enjoy the chapter!

——————————————

Evelynn had been shot before, but it didn't feel as bad as this. The arrow had gotten deeper than she'd realised and she could feel warm blood trickling down her side. 

Evelynn released a grunt of frustration and stuck the sword into the ground, lifting her shirt to examine the damage. It clung to her skin slightly as she shifted the fabric, and she winced as it finally came away.

She could still feel the adrenaline racing through her, and couldn't feel the full effect of the injury yet. Chaddick had shot her so she'd quit the trial, so she wouldn't kill Aric. She wouldn't let him succeed.

"I'm not getting another scar." Evelynn muttered under her breath, lighting her finger glow in an attempt to heal the wound in some way. As long as the bleeding stopped, she could keep going. The arrow wasn't near any organs or blood vessels. She would be fine.

Satisfied with her rough work, Evelynn yanked down her shirt and picked up the sword, treading through the trees quietly.

Her eyes almost appeared to glow in the dark shade of the trees, her movements so quiet and stealthy that her eyes would be the only thing that people would have noticed if she was coming for them.

Evelynn's head whipped the side as she heard some quiet muttering to her left, she started making her way over, only to realise the sound was coming from above.

She slowly looked up, spotting two pairs of feet dangling from the trees, as she shifted she noticed the owners of those feet were none other than Tedros and Sophie. They wore black uniforms that each had traces of blood and were very close, their chests nearly touching.

"Well this is rich." She stated, spinning her sword and sticking it into the soil before leaning on the hilt.

Tedros and Sophie glanced down with wide eyes, as if they'd been caught.

"Evy?" Tedros murmured, with a frown, "You're a girl again."

"How observant of you." Evelynn slurred.

Tedros started climbing down from the tree, dropping to the floor and squinting at Evelynn as he approached her. His eyes seemed slightly glassy, unstable. "What happened? You're bleeding."

Evelynn ground her teeth, not saying anything. She could barely look at him, Tedros made her feel uneasy, weaker than she did when she let her anger consume her.

He tentatively reached forward as if to move her shirt and see it, but she slapped his hand away. Trying to ignore the lingering feeling of his skin against her's.

"Careful Tedros," Sophie grunted from behind him, still pathetically hanging on to her boy voice, "She's...turned."

Evelynn cocked her head. "Turned? Interesting way of putting it. I would say I'm more...enlightened."

Tedros took a step back, his eyes widening as he finally noticed the colour of her's. "What happened? How..." He murmured, as if afraid to hear the answer.

Evelynn struggled to produce words, rolling her jaw back and forth and avoiding his gaze. She knew there would be an issue with her new-found strength, everyone has a weakness after all. Her's? A stupid Prince.

Tedros's gentle attempt to check if she was okay had completely caught her off guard, and now her defences were coming up.

"Nothing happened."